+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Final answer needed by newbie re: seeding

Final answer needed by newbie re: seeding

I am new to this board and have lurked and researched the build of our first scrubber. I am getting mixed answers in reading threads: the sticky says no seeding is required on a new scrubber, however, some of the threads asking this very same question say seeding is necessary. Also, I see threads of people offering scrubber 'seed" for $$.

Is there an authortitative source that gives a definitive answer to the seeding question?

Also, a separate question - more of a poll: Which is better horizontal or vertical scrubbers?

Re: Final answer needed by newbie re: seeding

Save your money...with flow, lighting, and the nutrients in the water the algae will grow. I started mine a week ago and I have light brown over the screen with specks of green starting.

Vertical scrubbers are more efficient so I would think better. You get better flow over the scrubber, and you can light both sides of a vertical scrubber.

on the vertical: still 25gph on the flow? I was thinking a spray bar from an old cascade filter. Question is, what pump only does 25gph?

Administrator

No seeding.

Vertical is best, with bulbs on both sides.

Flow is 35 gph for every inch long the slot in the pipe is. The slot should be 1/8 inch wide.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information