+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big problem Need Help

Big problem Need Help

Sooo, I was gone for four days and had a friend feed my tank (1 cube a day is what I told him). Don't these stories always start off like this? Well any way my tank has this brownish stringy algae every where.

WTF?? Diatoms? Dinos? I cleaned the ATS today and most of the algae was yellow? The water smells, not normal. Going to do a 25 gal water change ( my tank is a 55g) in 2 days cause I don't have any SW mixed up.

What is this stuff? and how did it take over the tank so fast? ANd what should I do?
    There is a direct relation connecting the decline of pirates and the increase of global warming

Administrator

Re: Big problem Need Help

Sounds like the scrubber lights were never turned off. Clean off the screen completely and check the timer.

Tank water should be fine... more algae = no nutrients.

We had a storm up here while i was gone maybe the power went out? Would that cause it? All fish and coral seem fine.
    There is a direct relation connecting the decline of pirates and the increase of global warming

Administrator

If it was out for a day, probably.

So I tested my water for silicates and got a reading of .25 Is this a problem? And I don't know where its coming from. I will test my RODI water tomorrow. But other than that I don't know where it could come from.

Administrator

Don't know

This article was very informative re: silicates.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... eature.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Aeros
    This article was very informative re: silicates.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... eature.htm

Thanks !! That was an interesting read.

UPDATE I did a water change a several days ago. sucking out as much brown slime as possible. I does seem to be coming back though.

I am going to have to clean my screen every 3 days cause of the brown algae. I am getting some green growth under it. I have tested the water everything is still at 0 Alk is 9dkh Ca420 Ph 8.4 Mag 1350. Fish and shrimp seem fine and all SPS are still growing. One of my candy canes shows some receding, Don't know what that means?

Sounds a lot like what happened to me after a recent power stoppage. The pump i use did not restart after the outage and the screen dried up. I was busy with things and didnt check the tank for a couple days. The lights dried the algae on the screen to the point that I was basically starting from scratch. I am having some coral throw tantrums and I have had a resurgence in bubble algae, but the screen is coming back...slowly. Mostly brown slimy gunk vs nice green stuff. Its a bummer but not the end of the world. Just a little more work than normal (cleaning more frequently). Good luck !
    Mike
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

Administrator

This is the reason that larger tanks with more expensive livestock should have multiple smaller scrubbers, instead of one bigger one. Separate pumps, separate circuit breakers, and separate plumbing, so that one scrubber can operate no matter what happens to the other. Best would be for one of them to be on a UPS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information