+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Step by Step to ATS?

Any Step by Step to ATS?

Is there any step by step or guidethroughs for ATS? I would rather use what works and do everything the right way.

I've searched step by step and guidethrough on this site and can't come up with anything. Thanks

I would preferably want one with lots of pictures and how to do everything from roughing canvas, plumbing, lighting, etc.

Administrator

Re: Any Step by Step to ATS?

Thank you for the word document. It was very helpful. Is there a step by step on the bucket by any chance?

Also, with the vertical designs, can they be made dead silent? I saw a reefer's tank with a horizontal scrubber and his was dead silent.

Administrator

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36&p=162&hilit=basics#p162
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37&p=163&hilit=basics#p163

Verticals are silent if you have water at the bottom, and the screen is in the water.

But I assume with too much flow, you will hear water falling? The one I saw and heard was dead silent, but it was horizontal

So on the bucket step by step, I have 3 questions.

First, if I can't find a holesaw that will give me 1 3/8 inch, can I go with a 1 1/8?

Second, is the tank divider just as good a material as plastic canvas? And can I use the holesaw to "rough it up"

Third, does the screen have to go the width of the bucket?

Thanks

Banned

1) Bulk Reef Supply has hole saws in all sizes. They also have Uniseals which work great for the drain hole (their video shows them using them for exactly that)

2) Plastic canvas is the best. You see many builds using tank divider early on, but use the plastic canvas. It's cheaper and easier to rough up and works better.

3) No. Screen should be as wide as it can be, according to flow available. You want 35 GPH/in of flow to the slot.

Thanks so much for your response. If I use plastic canvas, what do I use to keep it straight? like the 2 bars on the sides. What works for you guys?

Banned

The weight of the material and the water cascading down it, plus the weight of the algae will keep it straight.

Oh so no need for anything to hold the screen on the sides? Just the top is fine?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information