+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Continuous Feeder - DIY

Re: Automatic Continuous Feeder - DIY

Quote Originally Posted by 180rftank
    I've got 2 wine chillers, brand spankin new, 1 is still in the box and not opened. $30 each, or both for $50. I also have one of the Zevex pumps that is also new. I purchased the Zevex unit several months back, but just have not had the time to set this stuff up. Been sitting in my fish room for over 6 months. Paid $400 for the Zevex unit, sell for $300.

Plus shipping for all of the above...located in South Orange County if anyone is interested in picking up.

sent you a pm...

why are you selling?
    Mondays has become a highly anticipated day, as that is the day that I scrub my turf

Hello. I am writing in response to your autofeeder. First a bit of background. My wife wants it to be nice, neat, and fit in with the furniture. Therefore she has fallen for the Red Sea Max s400, an all in one unit. Now, with it having to be nice and neat there is no way I can convince her to allow a unit sitting uptop. So i was thinking a VERY small fridge in the cabinet with the Chiller. Basically sump to chiller to a t-PVC piece to the tank returns. The bottom of the T would contain the feeder tube and the Bottom of the T would be drilled into the fridge. The tops of the T would be out of the Fridge and the chiller would flow through the top of the T taking the mix along with it.
    I do have a few questions however.

I am worried about the return nozzles getting clogged with the larger particles and this tank will contain fish as well as corals so it will need solid foods. Any take on this concern?

Do you think I will have to worry about water backing up back into the feeder pump tubing with something like this?

My final concern is how will the actual pump unit do located inside the fridge as far as temp is concerned(My reason for it all going in a cooling unit is it will only feed once a day, at least for now, as it will be part of a new tank. Therefore no need to feed as frequently. Also, there is no algae scrubber so I need to be careful with my dosing.)?

You noted you do not use that feeder any longer. Do you use a feeder that would be more cost effective or conducive to what I am looking to do?

Administrator
    I stopped using the feeder because the focus lately has been the scrubbers. Also, I let the food sit in the wine cooler for 6 weeks once, and it went bad and killed two fish who ate a lot of it. The wine cooler did work though, but required some tinkering.

As for nozzles clogging, I would imagine that you would be using very fine particle foods, so they would get through any nozzle. Except maybe the enteral medical pumps like I was using; they have a very small insert in the tubing which must be removed to open it up.

For plumbing for your idea, if the return stopped, it would flood the fridge. You could, however, put the T above the display, so that if the return pump stops, the return spray bars will let air in and stop the flow to the fridge.

Im trying to envision how it would flood the fridge? Your saying if my return that goes from the sump to the chiller to the Tank stops it would flood the fridge? wouldnt the water level just even out like in my last tank and then just stop running.

Administrator
    Probably need a diagram to tell more about it.

What about freezing? My other concern was if the feeder itself would work within a freezer. Does anyone use any other type of feeder either? The pumps seem to be a little difficult to come by at reasonable prices so I was wondering if anyone had another effective method of frozen food delivery?

Administrator
    Well if the food is frozen then it would not pump (flow).

I dont need it to BE frozen. Just close enough to feed for a few weeks without going bad.

Administrator
    If you thinned out the food with water, you could use one of the 1m/min dosing pumps. They are mostly mechanical so they would probably do ok in cold.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    If you thinned out the food with water, you could use one of the 1m/min dosing pumps. They are mostly mechanical so they would probably do ok in cold.
    From your experience how long will your method last for before I risk food being spoiled? I'm also concerned about the length of tube not in the wine chiller as I won't need to feed hourly as my tank will be brand and not as full as yours for a long while so I'm worried about food spoiling in the tube.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information