+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home blended coral food, (used to be $5)

Re: Home blended coral food, $5

SM, do you turn off the return pump when you feed?

SM,

Do they still sell your wine cooler and dosage pump?

Administrator

Yes.

I just saw a pump on craigslist for $200. Search for "zevex infinity pump"

Thanks.

How long does this mix stay fresh when kept cold?

Regular fresh fish store bought will go bad within a week from my experience....

Administrator

I've kept it for 6 weeks. Maybe the sodium alginate helped.

I use a similar mix for my freshwater and saltwater fish. I use a can of peas with the liquid (heated), about a 1/2 pound of medium shrimp (after I peel them of course), and about 20 oz of filtered hot water (I have added some flake food at times and have done half carrots/peas). Put all this into your blender for about 30-60 seconds then add about 2 table spoons of gelatin ( 2 packets) and blend for about 30-60 more seconds. You can pour this into any convenient container with a lid. Put into the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours. When you are ready to feed just spoon out the portion/size you wish to drop into the tank. I spoon in several marble sized portions until they all have had their fill. The anemones seem to like it as well when missed portions drift their way.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned

I dont have the cash right now to get a dosing pump.. has anyone tried hooking an aqualifter up to the ATO?..

Anyone had issues with cloudy water when feeding blended oysters?

I bought a can of oysters and blended it with some enrinched brine shrimp, plankton cubes and prawn roe. The fish like it, but ever since I started feeding it the water is very cloudy. Just to be sure it was the food I gave it to my freshwater tank a few times (Tetras go nuts over it) and it started clouding up there too.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Administrator
    Corals and periphyton should consume it within a few minutes. How much are you feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Corals and periphyton should consume it within a few minutes. How much are you feeding?
    About 1 frozen cube per day. However, it is a little more concentrated than yours since I did not add water to my mix. I put the cube in a condiment bottle full of tank water in the morning, and then I squirt in a small amount several times throughout the day.

Keep in mind I have a 55 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump, the sump is lit but completely empty. All I have in this system is 2 baggy cardinals, 1 small damsel and a green mandrin dragonet. For corals I have a few spots of xenia spread around the tank, a tiny bubble coral (less than the size of a quarter), a tiny purple fan gorgonian, a fist sized rock covered in zoanthids, and 1 small rock anemone (maybe the size of a 50 cent piece).

Other thank all this all thats in my tank is a fairly large CUC, made up of about 10+ hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails (sump) 12-15 narcissus snails, 10 black nerites snails, 7 florida cerith snails and a ton (more than 100 probably) of dwarf cerith snails, which are tiny little guys that seem to be basically the saltwater equivelent of malaysian trumpet snails.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information