+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2 SM 100's on a 180 reef

Re: 2 SM 100's on a 180 reef

Administrator

Well the scrubbers are just now starting to filter; so up untill now there has been no filtering. Nutrients are high, as the phosphate test shows, and all the nitrates are being used up. Looks like it needs iron; you can switch to feeding nori until you get some; nori has lots of iron.

Your moving houses probably killed a few things; that plus no filtering = increase in nuisance algae in display. I'd stop the liquid food for a few weeks, until phosphate starts going down.

I've been adding iron for about a week now. Will keep adding and give it another week. Should I keep feeding cubes, or just feed nori for a few days?

FYI...just received all my AI LED"S for new tank. I installed 5 of them on the 180 just to see how they are. All I can say is WOW! I've got 3 Lumatec balasts w/ sunbrite fixtures and 2 month old pheonix 14k 250 watt bulbs if anyone is in need. Paid over a grand for all of them, will sell them for 175 each.

Administrator

If you are adding iron, then that is best; add more slowly until the screen darkens. Watch any soft green corals (especially bubbles)... they seem to be the first to be affected by too much iron.

You might have had phosphate in the rocks, and now it's coming out, which would explain the low nitrate.

This mornings Phos reading: .33 That's up .20 from a few days ago.

I stopped feeding all liquids, and fed only 8 cubes of rotifers the last two days, along with a little bit of flake food. Should I stop feeding altogether for a couple days or more?

Administrator

No you should be fine the way it is. Will take several weeks for the scrubbers to catch up.

This morning's phos reading...back down to .03...kind of strange how it can drop that quickly.

Administrator

If the scrubbers were growing strong green, they'd be able to make it zero in a few days.

Most of the red algae is gone, and the green had stopped spreading. Looks as though they the tank is turning a corner. For some reason this last week, my calcium level is off the charts(high). I'm gonna guess around 500-525. I can only guess that with the polyps from all my LPS not extending, no absorbtion was happenning, and therefore the reactor was just dumping calcium in the tank that was not being used. Coralin algae has just started to appear, so maybe that will absorb some of the excess. Does calcium seep into the live rock, and take a long time to dissipate?

Phos is back up to .40...really haven't been feeding that much at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information