+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATS for 600 liter reef

Re: ATS for 600 liter reef

DSC_1442 by 70967fb60e7024edcb4ae96e4d3e110a, on Flickr
    Before harvest (third one)

DSC_1443 by 70967fb60e7024edcb4ae96e4d3e110a, on Flickr
    After harvest, you can clearly see the GHA that is starting to grow in spots.

NO algae whatsoever in the DT! Yay!

Latest harvest. Dark brown slime algae, but also lots of green! After cleaning most of the GHA was left on to be able to grow onto the whole screen.

The screen and lights should be able to cope with 1800 liters and I only have 600 so this should work with very heavy feeding once it's mature! It's hard to judge the size of the media in the picture but its about 75 cm's long.

Today I added acrylic splash guards (just basic sheets hanging from the roof of the cabinet and down into the sump) and this made it possible to increase flow to about 5000 liters/h.

Just before harvest today. I did an extra harvest three days ago, so there is a lot of growth I think. The screen is very dark, almost black.

This is how it looks underneath. Very green. Actually more green than the photo shows. So I'm thinking I will do one extra harvest in the middle of the week to ensure that the GHA gets more light instead of getting blocked by the black/brown slime algae?

Am I right or wrong here?

I should say I have been feeding very heavily (5-10 cubes per day) for a while to get my newly acquired Anthias to fatten up a bit. There is also some dead LR in the tank which I suspect are leaking Phosphates.

To summarize scrubber data:

Light = 216 Watts total counting both sides = 0,36W per liter = HIGH filtering.
    Flow = 5000 L/H = (about) 120 liter / cm / hour = HIGH filtering.
    Area = 2625 cm2 = 4,4 cm2 / liter = HIGH filtering.

Administrator

You schedule looks good. As the GHA gets better hold of the screen it will fill in sooner. The strong lighting is keeping the screen from growing black.

did another cleaning today, about 2 dl of algae mostly the brown kind.

Have removed my Biopellets today. Hoping that the ATS will cope with the increased load and mature faster.

I have updated the lighting. When i bought the lamps I got CFL:s with 4100k included and already installed into the lamp so I let them run for a while. Yesterday I changed all of them to 2700k lights. I also took away the 3x24w light and installed two pieces of 2x36w instead. This mean I now have 288 watts of 2700k light.

To summarize scrubber data:
    Light = 288 Watts total counting both sides = 0,48W per liter = HIGH filtering.
    Flow = 5000 L/H = (about) 120 liter / cm / hour = HIGH filtering.
    Area = 2625 cm2 = 4,4 cm2 / liter = HIGH filtering.

My somewhat messy sump cabinet. I still run my KorallenZucht Revloution S (on the left) since it's smart design let's plankton through without damage. I have no filtersocks or anything like that. You can see that vertically hanging lights, I have four of those. Two on each side. Also, my dodgy looking but very effective splash guard in clear acrylic can be seen in the middle.

The algae growing on the media - a close up.

Administrator

You might be surprised to hear that no skimmer lets plankton get through, unfortunately. Bubbles attach to any organic particle, live or dead. And besides that, even the "dead" stuff that's in the skimmate... all of it... is coral food.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information