+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reduced my screen size today

reduced my screen size today

I have been having trouble getting that nice thick green growth. my scrubber is 16" long and was 10" tall today I cut it down to only 5" tall 5x16=80 10x16=160 my system is 55 gallons total so the 160 sq inches was a bit much It is still lit by the four 23 watt cfl's watch ya think?

Administrator

Re: reduced my screen size today

Not sure what affect it will have. The big reflectors you had seemed to cover the whole screen, so will have to see.

I had the nice green growth about a month into the new scrubber then it stopped out of the blue. I made no changes to the system what so ever. At first I thought that all the nitrates and po4's had been used up so I fed like crazy,,,but still nothing but turf? Then I tried adding more and more Iron and cleaning with a hacksaw blade,,,and still all turf So I will see how this smaller screen works and keep you posted. The four lights still cover the screen well and I installed light blockers on the exposed parts of the scrubber box.

Administrator

If you were getting green and then it stopped, it's old bulbs.

i also replaced bulbs 2-3 weeks ago

Administrator

Then the nutrients came down enough to not have enough for a lot of growth. Or, you fed a lot more and the growth turned brown and could not keep up with it.

You can test this by feeding 3 times what you normally feed. Do this for a week. If large amounts of green growth start again, then you know you had reduced nutrients to low levels. It also means you can start feeding more.

If instead, the growth gets darker and thicker, then it means the nutrients were already increased for some reason.

wow thats gonna be a lot of food!!! but I will give it a shot this week and get back to ya. thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information