+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feather Star & ATS

Feather Star & ATS

Anyone have any advice or experience with Feather Stars and ATS's?
    It seems like a natural fit. They're suppose to like a lot of food in the water of all sorts of shapes and sizes. I don't know that much about them but, from what I can tell, their biggest issue is not enough food and not enough flow. It seems like that ATS would solve the food problem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Feather Star & ATS

I was thinking the same thing. I saw some at a fish store about an hour from me. After asking around on some of the forums I decided against it. my main reason being I only have a 55g tank. My thoughts are in line with yours. The scrubber produces lots of pods and I would think feather stars would eat them. I am NOT an expert by any means. If I had a bigger tank I would have bought one. They do move around a lot. I m thinking something like 150g or 180? I say give it a go and report back :mrgreen:
    There is a direct relation connecting the decline of pirates and the increase of global warming

Thanks for the support!
    The LFS about 5 minutes from me has been getting these on a semi-regular basis. So far, they've been having good luck with them. They are somewhat hit and miss (what isn't?) but I have personally seen them keep a couple of them in the store for a couple months before selling off to locals. They are feeding A LOT but then again, so do I
    I have a 90gal and I think I'd like to give it a shot. They've got one in the shop now that appears healthy and I think I've got a better shot than most other non-ats using locals.

Administrator

If you have no mechanical filtration, and racetrack-circular flow pattern, and a continous liquid feeder, and a very strong scrubber, it should be simple.

Hahaha.... OH is that all? :lol:

I dont know if its a result of my ATS but my sump if FULL of small white tubs with futher duster worms insight them.

Got many in my display tank as well, red and brown ones, different sizes...must be eating a lot cos of the ATS,
    I have never put any in my tank so it myst be a result of the ATS or... not?

Well, I picked up an amazing feather star from my LFS yesterday. An awesome red color with yellow markings. I slowly acclimated him over the period of 2 1/2 hours and he was doing fine for about 3 or 4 hours. Then.... He decided to try to commit suicide by swimming into a powerhead
    I was able to cut the power and get him out of it, but he lost about 3 full arms and one of the "attaching prongs" on the bottom. Needless to say, I was PISSED.
    He seems to be doing OK this morning but it's hard to tell. It's still "open" and appears to be collecting food but we'll just have to see. If he gets over this initial trauma, then it'll be a good test for the ATS. Have to wait and see.

Administrator

It's really more of a test of your feeding and flow systems. Should be one-direction flow, about 25 cm/sec. And continuous heavily food particles in the water, from microscopic up to the size of rotifers.

I'd love to get one. I think I've got the flow, the scrubber is maturing and I just got the wine chiller for the liquid food dosing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information