+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ats vs. lobophora

ats vs. lobophora

recently, I started getting an outbreak of lobophora algae, it has spread to several of my live rock at an alarming rate,at first wasnt realy sure what this stuff was,its kind of like a brown leafy mat that will completely cover anything in its path on the top side of your rock,the top layers seem to peel off rather easily,but comes right back. I did some research on how to rid my tank of this growth, mostly on wetweb,seems the only way to rid your tank of it, is to either,take your live rock out and boil it or get a naso tang. SM, ive never seen on any post you mentioning this form of algae,and I do read daily, PLEASE tell me my ATS will rid my tank of this monster algae. I know youll want to know where my water params are, everything is good, exept, cant seem to get nitrates to 0,they remain between 20ppm and 30 ppm, my ATS has not lowered this in any way, still getting brown growth, I have done PWCs,increased flow,still brown growth since my last post, I just dont get it. help.

Administrator

Re: ats vs. lobophora

Everthing is not good if N is 20+. Everything is bad. Your scrubber is failing.

Doesn't matter what kind of nuisance algae is growing in your display; it all goes away when you build and operate your scrubber properly. So let's see pics of all different part of the scrubber, and of the screen before and after cleaning.

When did you change the bulbs?
    What's the real wattage?
    When did you clean the pump in vinegar?
    How often do you clean the screen?
    How much do you feed?

i built my scrubber to your specs SM,I bought the lights you recommended SM, I run lights on scrubber 18 on 6 off about 60 days old, as you recommend,I clean brown algae off every 4 days,all the way down to bare,it may be failing but its not because of the design,its the same as if i would have bought yours.. Im feedin a minimal amount of food to keep nutrients down,Ive got a tremendous amont of flow (mag 18 return, vortech mp40, a korelia 4) in display, I run a mag 9.5 to my scrubber, so flow is not the issue. your response seemed a little nasty to me, Ive been following your advice through this site since november 2010, with great intrest and faith this type of filtering WILL work,unfortunatly, its not, had to put my skimmer back up, had to run GAC to clear up the slimey brown algae in display,same as floydrturbo and some others experienced,left it in a week, water clead up took it back out,but will keep skimmer in,yes it is failing but its not because im not trying. Alls I ask you was if you have dealt with this type of algae (lobophora) and if a scrubber can sucsessfully rid a display tank of such,if I pissed you off sorry

this is basically what im cleaning every 4 days, never turns green since november, ive not givin up just yet im going to try some different bulbs,maybe 6500k, patience,patience,patience. I Ive built my ATS just like yours,so,is it built properly? as far as operating it properly, well,Im trying to follow your advice to the T, im on this site daily,any sugestions on how to run it more properly?

this is the algae im refering to, has anybody ever dealt with tis stuff?

Administrator

When did you change the bulbs?
    What's the real wattage?
    When did you clean the pump in vinegar?
    How much do you feed?

Your screen has a bad flow problem. Half of the screen is not getting flow.

Does not matter what kind of nuisance is algae in the display. Low nutrients will get rid of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information