+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BB and Sumpless with an Algae Scrubber designs.

BB and Sumpless with an Algae Scrubber designs.

Anybody have one runnning? I'm been running a 75g BB mostly zoa's and paly's and I'm always fighting phosphates right now I'm at .15ppm. I've stayed away from GFO and macro algaes in thinking I could just do water changes but I just can never seem to get ahead and there has to be a better way. I don't have a sump so I'm kind of screwed in that sense but I do want to build something that can fit about that is easily maintenance. Thanks guys in advanced for your help.

Re: BB and Sumpless with an Algae Scrubber designs.

Build (or buy) something like the SM-100 and hang it over your tank? This way you get all the nice pods in your tank aswell!

Thanks for the reply, I don't have problem building or purchasing anything I just want some more results first. I just want to know and see that someone that was in my shoes add something like this and its made a difference. Sorry I know I'm coming off question and looking as though I only have 2 post but I have read a lot hear and other forums so I'm very interested. I mustly post on thereeftank and reefcentral and there isn't as much (yet) information on this subject as is here. I just want to see others that don't have sumps like himselve with a before and after results.

How does running this type of algae differ than running macro aglaes, has any one noticed different effects of coral growth between the two?

Brad

Banned

An algae scrubber grows macro algae. So there literally is no difference, except that an algae scrubber is a highly concentrated version of a refugium. With a vertical scrubber, the light is very close, and has very little water to penetrate, versus a refugium which can have several inches of water, most of which the light doesn't penetrate due to blockage due to growth, which inhibits further growth. Plus the light is further away, and the inverse square rule mean that the light is less intense.

Running a top-of-tank scrubber is actually ideal, because the pods that release off the screen flow directly into the tank instead of going through a return pump.

I have a 120 2x2x4 that I'm going to be setting up later this year. I was going to go with a sump and a 3-pipe beananimal system and a calfo coast-to-coast overflow, but since it's not drilled yet, I'm now planning on making a TOT ATS and no sump. Much simpler.

But to answer your question, there are a ton of results if you look and ask. I have heard that Zoas like a water a little dirtier than say SPS or LPS, but I'm not 100% sure on that as being fact. If it was so, then if you built an undersized scrubber (say a 7x7 and lit it with a 23W CFL on each side, or 14x7 and lit with 2 CFLs on one side) that would very likely reduce your need to do PWCs, without completely zeroing out your N and P.

The bottom line is that just like a refugium, it would be very difficult to damage your set by adding a scrubber, unless you don't maintain it properly. Also algae does not go sexual like other macros, so you can factor that out when comparing to a refugium. With a TOT ATS you just have to compete for space with DT lighting, which is why a single-sided one might work better. In fact, that's likely what I will be doing, along with DIY LED lighting.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information