+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SM-100 on my ELOS 120

Re: SM-100 on my ELOS 120

This is the FTS by the way.

All green (except obvious coral growth) is some sort of cyano I have been battling for quite some time. Eager to see if scrubber can help me get rid of this.

Beautiful tank. Are you running a skimmer on the set up as well? I thought I saw one in the sump on the right hand side but I am not sure.

Also are you doing WCs or just dosing?

Thanks!

Yes I'm running a skimmer so far. The Scrubber has only been running for a week and a half. I have removed all filtersocks and such though. I have been doing PWC:s about once a week, but I have now stopped that. I'm dosing KH, CA, MG as needed.

Administrator

Looks like a fishing pier at the top

Lightbulb Re: SM-100 on my ELOS 120

AMAZING!!!!!

It took five weeks. All of the cyano in previous pics = GONE!

I will post pics as soon as I can manage. I am a very happy camper right now!!

Administrator

!!!!

Another two weeks and I have now removed my skimmer since all, and I do mean ALL algae in DT is gone. The system is now ultra low in nutrients and I think the corals show that. Since I'm not going to add stuff from the "small blue bottles" from KZ to keep the SPS happy I'm going to start feeding more and hope that the "natural" way will keep my SPS-collection alive and well just as they are now. Or hopefully even thrive more.

Right now I still have my biopellet reactor running with BP in it. The theory is that the bacteria produced will also (in addition to the food i put in the tank) feed the corals as they are not skimmed away anymore. The danger of low O2-levels should be avoided by running the ATS since it oxygenates the water. To be sure about O2 I will monitor the levels with a redox meter.

I know of one guy in Finland doing this very successfully, although running GFO and Carbon "instead" of the ATS. Since I'm off work for the next five days I will monitor the tank very closely and pull out the BP if I see any negative effects.

I don't think the BP will compete with the ATS they way they would if a skimmer was in use, since N&P is not exported by the pellets anymore. N&P is released from the bacteria when it dies and then taken care of by the ATS.

Yeah yeah, I know that I could just feed more, but since SPS are proven to feed on bacteria I'd like to try this since I already have the system going in the sump.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maglofster
    Right now I still have my biopellet reactor running with BP in it. The theory is that the bacteria produced will also (in addition to the food i put in the tank) feed the corals as they are not skimmed away anymore.
    Wish you luck, but I killed all of my SPS corals and even a few of my fish I had for years within 3 weeks of adding WM Bio-Pellets to my system. I had a good running ATS and got the itch to try out bio-pellets so I put my skimmer back in and put 1/4 the recommended amount of pellets.. lost all my SPS corals in 2 weeks and at week 3 several of my fish died of nasty bateria infections. Never again will I combine the 2.. in my opinion, a person must pick one major filtration method (algae or bacteria, not both) and then you can use secondary filtration methods along with your primary if you wish (carbon, GFO, etc), but in my opinion, you can not use 2 primary types of filtration methods together because one will always outcompete the other, in this case, bacteria will always outcompete algae.

That was my experience.. curious to see how yours goes after a month, so please keep this thread updated often.

I have been running this as a stable system for a year, with biopellets and a skimmer. But since I have had on and off problems with cyano I decided to install an ATS. I kept the skimmer running (as recommended) while the ATS matured and now I have removed it. I'm trying to keep ONLY the BP without the skimmer to export the bacteria. So in my opinion they should not compete, since bacteria is not exported, if not eaten will die and release it's N&P contents again. Since my N&P levels in the water are very low there is not much bacteria produced (or so the theory says anyway) so I think this will work. When the pellets are used up, I will remove my reactor. The primary reason for me removing my skimmer is that I don't want to kill the corals by starving them because the system is now truly an ULNS.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I have heard of a lot of nice systems crashing after BP's have been introduced. I think that's why the European distributor have changed the manual on how to introduce them.

Administrator

Good to hear your display is clean now.

I've done the vodka-with-no-skimmer thing too. I think what it does is shift some of the biomass from algae to bacteria. If this is true, the system would have an overall lower oxygen level, higher bacteria level, and lower DOC level. If the corals love bacteria more than other stuff, it may help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information