+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Scrubber 46 Gallon Tank 10 Gallon Reservoir

First Scrubber 46 Gallon Tank 10 Gallon Reservoir

Hey everyone I built my first scrubber this week and need some opinions. I have a Rio Mini 150 pump 3-3 1/2inches from the top of my 46 gallon tank feeding down a 3ft line under my tank this is my intake. The Rio is rated 40GPH but seeing a faster flow from the 3ft drop. This puts out quite a good flow underneath for my filter. I then have a Petco Powerhead that is rated 250gph pushing water out of the 10 gallon tank up a 4ft line into my 46gallon. With these two together they match up perfect. I tried a suction feed but the water would come to fast for my 250GPH pump to push it back up. Tried smaller and smaller lines and couldn't get it right. Tried my Rio40GPH and worked perfect. Right now I have one 30watt bulb(2000lumens) on one side of my algae filter. Will get another to put on other side soon when money comes in. I have a 6inch fan blowing straight down on the filter as well. For my overflow I have my pumps setup so if one goes off or both they will only drain about 3-4inches. Like I said first time see how it goes and just put it together last night. With everything about $50. Let me know what you think and how I could better the system. I need to get a holesaw bit and scrap up my filter today. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First Scrubber 46 Gallon Tank 10 Gallon Reservoir

Started On 4/8/2011. Leave some info please.

Here are some more photos sorry they suck from my phone can't find my cam.

Administrator

Congrats on your build. Indeed you will save money since you won't need to buy any other filter. Your nem will like all the food particles in the water too. A few things...

1. I'm not versed on plumbing, but I do think that your two-pump system will dry out your scrubber before too long. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before one pump stops, that that will be it for your screen.

2. Need to replace the acrylic screen with roughed up plastic canvas. Scratching the acrylic won't work, even with the drill holes. It just will not hold on to thick growth.

3. Yes another bulb would really help a lot. But also, moving the bulb down so that it's more at the center of the scree. The reflector is good though.

Thanks for the reply thats what I need to make this thing the best it can be. I moved the light further in the tank and roughed up the acrylic a lot. I am going to get a better one tomorrow morning. Also getting a valve so I can switch back to gravity feed. It didn't hit me till now. If I have a valve I can control my GPH on my gravity feed line. Then I can just keep my 225GPH sump pump in my reservoir tank pushing up. Way easier then trying to match pumps! As far as my overflow goes I can just set my intake 4-5inches below the surface on my main tank. Then if the pump fails it will only suck a few gallons into my reservoir. Is this a good idea? What would you recommend for the setup I have? Need to get the water to and from my tank and reservoir? Open to all inquiries. Thanks

Update changed my Intake for my 40GPH pump back to gravity feed with a ball valve to control flow. This works great my screen is now flowing all the way across. I also cut my screen to a smaller size suitable for my tank. 7.25x8inches not a big change a little overboard but when I get my second light it should be great. I am just going to try the acrylic idea for the first week if I don't get any results I will change up. Still using a 225gph pump to pump up a 4ft line into my tank. Working great and took only 2minutes to get the intake and return to match up. I am hoping the exchange is at least between 150-170gallons a hour but i doubt it.

Administrator

Much better light.

And you don't need the fan, if you don't need cooling.

Now I have setup two light on each side of my filter. Also have upgraded my filter to a kitchen sticky mat. Within two days had algae starting four days completely covered the filter with brown algae. Now 5th day is starting to get long pieces of algae. Gonna clean in 2 days. Fan is also removed.

Administrator

Looks good.

Thanks after a couple trials I found the best way and it looks pretty good. On my bottom tank I panda filmed around it and cut out a water level line to monitor my evaporation. Now on to a new task. Setting up my Calcium drip line system. Any advice? I am going off these plans but making it look better and putting it behind my tank going into my 10g sump. I was wondering if this was a bad idea or if I should put it straight into my 46g tank?

You may have to copy and paste the link.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information