+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to ramp up feeding on a new ATS system

How to ramp up feeding on a new ATS system

I've got a 150 watt, 20"x8" double-sided screen ATS on a 125 gallon system. By the numbers, I could feed up to 15 cubes a day. My tank is lightly stocked at this point-- I moved the livestock out of a 30 gallon system and haven't added much more yet. I'm currently feeding the equivalent of around 3 cubes a day, and after three months, I'm now getting some decent green growth on the screen. So the question is, how should I ramp up the feeding? Should I just start feeding 5, 10 or 15 cubes, or slowly ramp the feedings up? I don't have enough fish and coral yet to consume 15ml/day of food, but the current ones would appreciate some more food, I'm sure. Anyone have any thoughts?

Administrator

Re: How to ramp up feeding on a new ATS system

Give yourself a demonstration of how the scrubber grows more with increased feeding: Feed 10 cubes a day for 3 days, and on that 3rd day clean the screen. Then go back to what you are feeding now. Wait one week for growth results.

Besides that, just slowly increase feeding so long and N and P stay low.

Just a question, what is a "cube" of food? Is it referring to the size of the individual cubes from the frozen fish food packets?

Administrator

Yes.

Dang... 15 cubes?!?!?!? a day?!?! thats insane. Or maybe I'm just a noob... When I feed all my corals once a week. I have to go through one whole cube. I feel it feeds my 50 gallon tank and some more. However, I don't have any tangs or huge fish. Just clownfish pair, gobies, wrasses, blenny. Doesn't the whole packet have like 20 cubes in them? Costs me $5 for the packet in my LFS.

But I'm the type who hates leftovers. I feed pellets twice daily to fish. With no leftovers because I wait til they eat it all before I throw more at them

Administrator

Feeding corals once a week is almost not feeding at all. Corals feed continuously, especially at night, on small floating particles in the water.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information