+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

Banned

Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

So this is my second scrubber which will be installed tomorrow. I am replacing my old ATS/sump with this new and improved model after learning the do's and don'ts from version 1.

55G tank. 1st chamber 18" long, 1-1/2" overflow pipe feeds the ATS, screen is 12"x10.5". Chamber is painted black all the way around and bottom, and top will have a lid. This is to keep all light contained in the chamber and not grow algae all over the rest of my equipment. 1-1/2" pipe reduces down to a 3/4" with a valve as a safety overflow. I hope the lip that the reducer creates will be enough to give sufficient flow over the screen and allow my to keep the valve open for safety. LEDs are 6 LEDs per side, 50/50 mix of Cree Neutral and Warm whites using a meanwell 750mA constant current driver. 3 LEDs mounted per 10" of C channel aluminum inside a glass box with a lid over the box that will have 2 1.5" fans to keep air circulating in the box. Crossing my fingers this all works as planned.

Re: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

great build. very nice job. keep us posted please

wondering why ya choose to mix neutral and warm white leds instead of all warm whites? and how did you decide on 6 per side?

and do you have a thread or info on the first version?

thanks

Banned

I chose those LEDs because it was just what I had laying around. LOL. I also have some cool whites and royal blues but I didn't think those would be as good to use. I chose 12 LEDs total because that is what one driver does, and it also comes pretty close to matching the PAR output of a 42w CFL at the screen.

My first ATS was more of trial run to learn what to do and not to do.. biggest lesson, don't put equipment in with the ATS, like pumps, live rock, heaters.. they all just get algae growing all over them and clogging the pumps. I tested this using a rubbermaid container as the sump/ATS.

Banned

Here it is installed.

Video of flow over screen (since this site can't display youtube videos for some reason here is the link)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnb71BY8Y6w

Looks very nice! Looking forward to see results!

Looks great, could you post a video of how you clean it?
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

Banned

Just pull 2 velcro tabs and the screen drops right out. Used the same velcro method on my last ATS and the the velcro lasted fine the entire time and never gave me a single problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wGllg25vvQ

Some thoughts:

It seems like a bit risky of a setup using your overflow, with ball valve on the end like that.
    I worry algae will clog up slot, and if that valve is not open enough, it will back up, and into main tank.
    Yet if valve is not closed enough, you lose too much flow.
    You might want to run a quick test with duct tape over the slot.
    As a fix (if it is a problem), run the emergency overflow up in the air, maybe 5" or so, then back down.
    Basically, gravity becomes the valve.

I would be a bit surprised if you get optimal growth with that mix of LEDs.
    Seems both under powered and not enough red.

But I really like the build. Nice design, well built, and yay, LED.

Banned

The valve is open all the way on the overflow, no water comes out right now, all water is going down the slot. If it does start to clog the overflow pipe will come into effect. I ran my old ATS for a year off my overflow in the above picture, never once had a problem with screens clogging.

As far as the LEDs, we will see.. I have plenty of different ones to test with and I do have my own PAR meter and a $3000 spectrometer at my disposal. I do think there is more than enough reds in the warm whites I have, I am more concerned that I don't have enough blues actually.. but I have plenty of time and parts to refine my selection should the need arise. Right now I am getting just over 1500 PAR at the screen with LEDs and have more reds in the spectrum than the old 2700k CFLs I used to run. I was getting 1493 PAR with a 42w CFL at the screen.

yes blue was my concern as well. thats why i asked if you had reasoning behind your led choices. i think the nuetral white spills a lil bit more into the blue end. but im only looking at the cree graph. and estimating.

mind trying that 3000 piece of equipment to work? lol

also it looks like their is about twice the red to blue(ideal ratio i believe) in the warm whites. so i was gonna try just those on mine.

are you using any optics on your leds? if so what angle? i bought 40 60 and 80 to try. just got them in today though so no chance to play yet

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information