+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

Re: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

Dimming is a good idea.
    Not only do they last longer, but they are more efficient as far as lumens/watt.
    And yes, that is a good way to spread out the light.
    Of course, you pay more. Dollars per lumen goes up.

As far as my LED system, I am still quite happy with it.
    Well, except that recently it switched to a tougher algae. I thought it might be bryopsis,
    but looking more, I think it is just a mix of turf.
    I don't get a ton of algae, but that is because I don't feed much either.
    At one cube a day, plus a few flakes, you can hardly expect pounds of algae every week.

Administrator

I was talking only in terms of algae, not electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    If you want to put the LEDs closer than 3" I would put more LEDs per side to make up for the coverage and run the current at 500mA or less on the LEDs. Since your talking about a nano scrubber you still shouldn't need more than 6 per side. I just looked at your nano scrubber, single sided, so ya, 5 or 6 LEDs at 1" distance on your scrubber would be my recommendation and run them at 400-500mA, which means you would want to get a dimmable driver like a Buckpuck that handles up to 6 3w LEDs.

Driver - http://www.ledsupply.com/03021-d-e-700.php
    Power Supply - http://www.ledsupply.com/12vdc25a.php

Or get a bigger driver and it has a built in power supply
    meanwell driver - http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-41/ ... ble/Detail
    knobs to dim it - http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-116 ... ter/Detail
    Hello!

Thanks for your time looking in to my question, and scrubber setup.

I am setting up a new nano reef this fall, this nano reef will be about 120-200 liters of water. I am going to build a new scrubber for this nano reef and thinking i will use leds in this scrubber, thats why i asked about the distanse between leds and screen.

When it comes to my current scrubber setup for my 63 liter nano reef i am just about finished with a new nano scrubber for this tank. This scrubber is lightned with a 1xPL-24W bulb and eksternal driver, I will post a building tread for this new scrubber this week.
    Here is a link to the bulb i am using:
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4bt...37_ffs_nor.pdf

jnad

Banned

Quick update showing how it is working today.. This is a 5 day cleaning, I cleaned it on Sunday and it is now Friday and this is what it looks like before I cleaned it. Pictures of the screen don't show how it truely looks in person unfortunately. It was very thick (3D type growth) and very heavy holding the screen. I see more growth with 6 reds + 1 blue than I was getting with just 4 reds. Not sure how much the blue helped though since I made 2 changes at once. I will say one thing, I get less growth since I took off a big fan I had over the screen. Now I just have 2 computer fans cooling the LEDs. So in my opinion, there is some limiting factor with algae growth that is overcome by adding a lot of airflow over the screen, although the downside to that is lots of evaporation and your heaters running a lot more, running up the power bill. I decided the extra cost in power wasn't worth the extra growth.

Administrator

Best LED growth yet

can you show me what you used to mount the heat sinks? it looks like they are on some kind of bracket that allows you to tilt them.

Banned

I just used standard 2"x1" C channel aluminum. I put some stick on rubber feed on the bottom ones to be able to tilt them and have them stay. The top one I just riveted a small piece of aluminum wrapped in electrical tape.. cheesy I know.. but it works.

Mine looks just like that but I used material about 1/2 that width.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

It is likely that the increased airflow was providing more CO2.

Ace your scrubber design is awesome. I too will be radically modifying my ATS setup and wanted to ask you a question. I believe our screens need to be tougher in order to last longer. My 1st ATS used 2 of the typical screens sandwiched together with wire ties. After about 10 months the algae grew in between the 2 screen making the unit too thick for the slot. So I removed 1 screen and went to a single screen which is now torn in a few places. We need tougher screens, thinking of building one out of thin acrylic. I actually preferred the sandwiched method because you could get aggressive on the pruning and there would be existing algae in between the screens to easily grow back. Comments? Bill
    Hooked on the hobby~ 150gal starphire reef tank. AquaticLife T5HO fixture. Koralia wavemaker with 4ea K4's. 30gal sump, Algae Turf Scrubber, No skimmer or reactor

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information