+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

Administrator

Re: Ace's ATS v2.0 - LEDs

Also you might want wider reflectors... those are big CFL's and need to have the light spread out.

Banned

I agree, I need to find some good ones.. I checked all the local hardware stores and I couldn't find a "good" reflector. I need one that is about 8" instead of 5". With the reflectors I have now the 42w bulb sticks out past the reflector at least 1" so I know I am losing light out the sides.

Banned

Here is something a little different that I noticed this week on my LED ATS... it has been warm here so all week I have put a fan over the top of the ATS/Screen to help keep the tank cool so my chiller doesn't turn on. Well, turns out that adding airflow over the screen has made the screen grow faster. Nothing else has changed between the previous week and this week, same feedings, no water changes. Previous weeks I could tell by the end of day 6 that the screen was getting full because my emergency overflow would start to take effect (and make gurgling noises telling me this). This week with the fans the screen has filled up in 4 days and I started hearing the gurgling noises on Wed afternoon instead of Friday night. I hadn't thought of how airflow over the screen may help growth but thinking about it now it makes sense. Anyone else notice if you put increased airflow over the screen you get faster growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    Here is something a little different that I noticed this week on my LED ATS... it has been warm here so all week I have put a fan over the top of the ATS/Screen to help keep the tank cool so my chiller doesn't turn on. Well, turns out that adding airflow over the screen has made the screen grow faster. Nothing else has changed between the previous week and this week, same feedings, no water changes. Previous weeks I could tell by the end of day 6 that the screen was getting full because my emergency overflow would start to take effect (and make gurgling noises telling me this). This week with the fans the screen has filled up in 4 days and I started hearing the gurgling noises on Wed afternoon instead of Friday night. I hadn't thought of how airflow over the screen may help growth but thinking about it now it makes sense. Anyone else notice if you put increased airflow over the screen you get faster growth?
    I do remember some old thread where bubbles were added, and it improved growth.
    And recently with some pH issues, I am have been looking closely and seeing a very significant pH spike
    when the scrubber goes on, especially when overlapped by the display tank lights.
    The only real possible cause for that pH spike is a sudden drop on CO2.
    And in fixing that pH issue, I have seen a bit of increased growth as well.

SO: It is quite possible that scrubber growth can be CO2 limited, and you improved airflow helped.

Note that on planted freshwater tanks, it is very common to add CO2.

Administrator

Fans have been used by many people for cooling, then removed, then added back for summer, etc. This is the first I've heard of it being correlated with more growth. Remember, screens have up and down weeks of growth anyway.

There is a very large amount of CO2 going into the water already from all the respiration going on. Only autotrophs remove CO2. Everything else.. fish, corals, bacteria (including nitrifying and denitrifying), pods, the stuff in live rock, microbes, and all other inhabitants, put CO2 into the water.

Planted tanks, of course, are like a giant autotroph with few inhabitants. Thus, it needs CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25
    I agree, I need to find some good ones.. I checked all the local hardware stores and I couldn't find a "good" reflector. I need one that is about 8" instead of 5". With the reflectors I have now the 42w bulb sticks out past the reflector at least 1" so I know I am losing light out the sides.
    Ace home depot in lompoc has the larger ones

Banned

Video and picture .. I really wish I had a better camera than this 10+ year old one I have, but so many reef items take priority for me.

3 days worth of growth. Lighter spots on screen are flow related issues I need to resolve with my slot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtD38lc1OQ

Banned

Looks very similar to the growth I am getting. The streaks of light green vs darker and all. I don't know if it's a flow issue, SM said the darker areas are likely diatoms which grow the fastest. When I rinse my screen off the water is brown and all the green sticks to the screen, and looks in my hand like it does in your pic. I wouldn't fret too much over that, excellent growth.

Banned

On mine I can see the difference in flow on the screen and it is significant, at least 50% less water going over the lighter spots, and those spots are always in the same spot on the screen, even if I turn the screen 180 after I clean it. I have very tiny little bumps on the slot in those spots .. so tiny I really didn't think it would have any effect but apparently it does.

In regards to LEDs, the conclusion I have come to is that reds do help a lot, blues do not help at all. There is no 1 size fits all answer to the question of how many LEDs does a person need, there are several factors involved with that answer like screen size, distance to screen, and mounting options. So the answer is yes, LEDs will work for an ATS, but it does not come cheap and takes some work. For pure ease of setup a CFL setup is by far cheaper and easier in the short term. If you use 23w CFLs and get them for $1ea (which I have seen them when on sale) it will take many years before you recoup your cost of the LEDs. Power savings, your only talking about a 20w difference by going with LEDs, so maybe $1-2 a month in power savings. So unless your very space limited for lighting and must go with LEDs, I really wouldn't recommend them for use on an ATS right now. LEDs are a great MH replacement over a display but for the purpose of an ATS light source you really do not get your moneys worth by going with LEDs vs CFLs in my opinion. That is how I feel today.. 6 months.. year from now.. LEDs may be 25cents ea instead of $3-5ea and at that time it may be more cost effective to try LEDs as your lighting option.

Administrator

Very nice growth. Yes the bands are from flow differences.

Pretty much what I though about led's. Unless you can build it yourself, it just not worth making a scrubber that's going to cost $2000.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information