+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the GPH of water coming from overflow

What is the GPH of water coming from overflow

Hey guys, how do I determine the amount of flow I'm getting on my screen if I plan on having water overflow straight into the screen? Is the GPH after headloss going up into the DT the same as the speed of the water coming down? Or does gravity make it much faster?

Also, is it god to follow the 35gph per inch rule or is it more the better?

Banned

Re: What is the GPH of water coming from overflow

Quote Originally Posted by steve hwang
    Is the GPH after headloss going up into the DT the same as the speed of the water coming down? Or does gravity make it much faster?

No it creates more water on the way down.

That's why aquariums overflow all the time.

I thought everyone knew that :twisted:

Hey guys, how do I determine the amount of flow I'm getting on my screen if I plan on having water overflow straight into the screen? Is the GPH after headloss going up into the DT the same as the speed of the water coming down? Or does gravity make it much faster?

I think Santa is going to tell ya to measure it, under actual operation. In other words take a known gallon size bucket, and use your stopwatch (on your cell phone) to measure how fast the gallon bucket fills up.

I do not ever, and never will trust the numbers printed on the labels. I will measure mine and adjust accordingly. :geek:

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper

I think Santa is going to tell ya to measure it, under actual operation. In other words take a known gallon size bucket, and use your stopwatch (on your cell phone) to measure how fast the gallon bucket fills up.

I do not ever, and never will trust the numbers printed on the labels. I will measure mine and adjust accordingly. :geek:
    +1

The amount of water coming down the overflow has to be the same as the pump output with headless. If you think about it the overflow will empty at exactly the same rate as the display tank is being filled up. If more it would overflow and if less the display tank would empty itself.

That was a stupid question I asked.

But my real question did get answered which was pretty much how do I measure GPH coming down. I will try the bucket idea. I know where the 5 gallon mark is.

Banned

That was a stupid question I asked.

:lol:

We've all done it fella!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information