+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 425 gl pond

New 425 gl pond

I am setting up a new 425gl above ground pond to grow out 200+ CA fry for the summer and thinking of going with a but have a few ?
    If the scrubber screen never really get full sun just partial sun for around 2hrs a day will it still work?
    I could move it out to full sun but am worried that it might get to hot out there in Jul and Aug.
    I am thinking of running my pump from bottom of my tank to the top of my5gl home made filter bucket and making a scrubber coming out of the bucket back to the water.I really hate to tear up the yard but if you all think it will be best I will

Administrator

Re: New 425 gl pond

Will not work in partial sun, much less just 2 hours of partial sun.

How about leaving the tank in the shade, and running a pipe to a scrubber in full-sun.

Thanks so much bro.It is like 60 feet to get out from under these trees.How about 6hr full sun will that be enough?If so I am going to the hardware store for some plumbing

Please I need to get to building on this this weekend.That in all the sun I can get in my yard is about 6hrs.

Administrator

That's 1/3 of the recomended 18 hours, plus it's only one-side at a time (although probably stronger light than bulbs deliver). Also, breeding/growout tanks have shown to need more scrubbing power than regular tanks. So do this:

Use the feeding guidline for how much you will be feeding:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 real watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 real watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 real watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is. And for Nori, 8 square inches = 1 cube.

Now, multiply the screen size by at least 4. That's your minimum screen size. But since you are outdoors, feel free to make it as large as you like, as long as you keep the flow up to at least 35 gph per inch of width of the screen.

So if I make it 30"wide 20" tall and use my 1300gl hr pump it sound like it will work.The bucket filter will help too I think.I probable feed 20cubes a day.I so thank you for your help.I will put a timer on my full sun hrs tomorrow since I will be out there building my scrubber

I have started building the .The screen is 33.5" x 12" with 2 700gph pump that will feed it.Will take more pictures today as I finish the build

Banned

You don't want the crosscuts. They will promote clogging of the slot because they allow the flow to get lowered where the crosscuts are not present, so you get high flow and squirting at the crosscuts.

Also you don't need a double screen, it's just harder to maintain. Single thickness and very roughed up.

Slot width of 1/8" is for a single screen.

I would not personally zip-tie the screen sections together, because you have to clean them together then or remove and replace the zip ties. With a single thickness screen that would eliminate the need for the ties at the edges, then just put 2 shower curtain rings on each section to keep it hanging straight. Or use Velcro straps, my new favorite. Google "One Wrap Velcro".

You will want to check the flow at the screen inlet also, 2 x 700 GPH pumps moving water that far may result in a big head loss. Even with zero head you're limited to a 20" wide screen to get 35 GPH/in which is important. Might want to go taller and narrower.

Just my 2c

Well the is done just need to but my 5gl bucket filter together.

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/index.php

...................................Here is a video.....................................
    http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=tanks018.mp4

here is a working link hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7v1hcNEtI0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information