+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Idea: Longer time between cleanings

New Idea: Longer time between cleanings

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I have been thinking about the possibility of an algae scrubber that requires minimal cleaning, say once or twice a months at most. If I understand correctly screens need cleaned to remove algae before it starts blocking light from reaching algae closest to the screen, which dies putting nutrients back into the water. If anyone could direct me to any threads that cover this topic already I would appreciate it, and if not what are your thoughts on the matter?

Administrator

Re: New Idea: Longer time between cleanings

The thing which causes the most need for cleaning is the cutting-off of light and flow to the bottom layers. So to make it last longer, it has to not get as thick so fast. This is accomplished by a larger area (say, 2x), with matching larger wattage (also 2x). You cannot have larger area without larger wattage. And of course with the larger screen you need additional flow for additional width, unless there is no additional width (only height).

2x should give you 2x the time (2 weeks), and 3x should give you 3x the time, except that other factors start becoming more important: pods, and blocked flow.

what problems do pod cause?

Administrator

They start eating more and more of the algae.

Banned

I let my current one go longer than 7 days sometimes. An extra 2 or 3 days seems to give nearly double the yield.

That said my current one isn't very efficient (not enough light really). It's just a stop gap while I decide what I'm going to do next.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information