+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Designing new setup

Designing new setup

Hi All,

I'm Dominique from Eindhoven in The Netherlands, 28 years of age, and have stopped a year ago with my formal reef aquarium because of the method i did not like, and continous walking the very thin line of the poor water environment.. So i started to look for a more natural way, and first thought of the old "dutch system" with a "algae river".
    But after a lot of reading and information gathering on algae's, i bumped into the scrubbers, and instantly wanted to give this a try. I want to start a new reef tank with ATS only filtering.

I finished the designs so far, but want to get it reviewed by the experts here. :roll:

Tank: 120x40x50 - 240 Liters ~ 53 Gallons (ordered)
    Lighting: 6* 54watt T5 totals: 324 Watt (1,35 watt T5 per liter in display) (ordered)
    Overflow type: 3 * 32mm Standpipes according thisdesign
    Return pump: 3000 L/h (not ordered yet, can be changed)
    Water flow: 4 streamers each 5000 L/h variable flow between: 8.000 and 20.000 l/h (ordered)

Sump: 80x30x40 (ordered)
    will be filled till 20cm height, left compartment of 25 cm for return pump, then a bubble trap (3 glas panels), and in the other 45 cm the scrubber 5 cm in the water.
    Water volume: 48 Liters ~ 10,5 Gallon

Total water volume: 288 Liters ~ 63 Gallon

ATS Details

Driven by the overflow

Calculated values:
    Area: 1,62cm2 * 288 Liters = 472 cm2 (30cm x 16cm)
    Light: 0,26 watt * 288 Liters = 75 watt
    Slot length: 30cm
    Flow: 30* 60l/h = 1800 L/h

Planned values:
    Area: 30 x 30 cm = 900cm2
    Light: 8* 11 watt (4 on each side) with reflectors. Reason: To not burn the algae's and for better distribution all over the screen.
    Flow: somewhere around 2600 L/u (just the full 300l/h return pump capacity with substraction of height loss)

Screen will hang in the center above the sump, about 5 cm in the water and light on both sides.

Questions:
    1) With growing plants, the grow-fase is best with lighting 18/6, but in the flower-fase the lighting should be 12/12. Is it whise to do this on the scrubber? Fe. first 3 days of the week 18/6 other 4 days lights on 12/12?

2) What do you think of my design? Will it work? or is it better to increase lighting / decrease area / increase flow?

3) How to startup the tank best? My planning is to start with dead-rock and a few pieces of living rock in the sump. Then ent it with bacteria cultures. Tips are welcome.

Thanks very much for your replies,

Kind regards,

Doompie

PS. when all the equipment is here, i will start a dairy-thread here if that is whishfull?

PS 2. Sorry for my english.

Banned

Re: Designing new setup

Your English is just fine, and your design sound pretty good too!

Question about the lighting and screen position: you refer to having the screen dip 5cm into the water, and lights on both sides. Does this mean that your light fixtures will actually be inside the sump? Have you taken into account the increase in water level during a power outage?

What kind of lights are you using? I'm guessing CFLs? You will want to use reflectors, you didn't mention that. Doing 4 lamps on each side might be difficult, you might consider using 2 x 23W or 26W on each side and then using a good dome-style reflectors. Doing 4 lamps per side, I would picture that you would need to having them oriented such that the lamp was pointed sideways from the edge, with a half-cylinder type reflector (like a DIY beer car reflector) to direct the light from the back of the lamp around to the front. Definitely do-able.

The 3-pipe BeanAnimal system is perfect for running a scrubber. Santa Monica uses a Herbie which is similar in concept (full siphon). Are you having the tank custom-made with a built-in coast-to-coast overflow, or are you doing that yourself?

Thnx very much for your reply Floyd,

The tank is being custom made, with a side to side overflow on the 40cm side. (the tank will be 3 sides open / see trough) According my calculations this should be able to move so much water 3 of my planned kind of pumps aren't even going to be able to return :mrgreen:

I was planning to-do the light-fixture as follows:

A plexiglas / perspex box glued water tight, with an open top, and the lights fixed on a board with a 'slide-in' system to take them out and replace them easily. This box is then with a "hang-on" system placed partly inside, and partly above the sump. As reflectors I was planning to cut T5 reflectors in pieces to direct the light correctly. But maybe a few cans of redbull can do the job.

Very global concept image:

As you can see, ideas are very welcome

I will take your idea into account.

i want to make a new display too...
    i'll follow the tips they do to you
    yes, uptade everyday,everything, will be very nice ;D

Banned

Looks good! I'm not sure what perspex is - some kind of acrylic product I'm guessing? You still have to take into account water rise in the sump, even though with a coast-to-coast you will not get much. But if the light fixture boxes go underwater, they will want to float :shock:

what program you use to make this projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Looks good! I'm not sure what perspex is - some kind of acrylic product I'm guessing? You still have to take into account water rise in the sump, even though with a coast-to-coast you will not get much. But if the light fixture boxes go underwater, they will want to float :shock:
    Thnx for that comment!

Perspex is indeed arylic. To be sure a mirror sticker on the back can't hurt i guess.
    Floating is a very good point, didn't though about that! So probably better to hang the boxes with some kind of easy to remove and adjust system. Which is also nice to run the cables.

Quote Originally Posted by itzrulez
    what program you use to make this projects?
    I do quick sketches in Visio. It's very easy draw everything on scale. I use it to imagine the 3d image how it will end up.

To be complete, this is the total design sketched:

Side open:

PVC:

Completed:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information