+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: idea on screen roughness

idea on screen roughness

hey guys, first off i have been running a scrubber on my 125g fowlr for over a year now and never looked back! thanks santa monica for all you've done. just looking for a little input on an idea i have on making my screen rougher. im thinking of sand blasting it after working it over with a hole saw i have noticed the saw leaves some slick area it dosent get at so maybe blasting it will give more bite? any thoughts?

Re: idea on screen roughness

If you could hold the screen down against something solid it might work as long as you don't shred it. I think it could very well knock all the shine off. Let us know how it works.

i sand blasted my new screen and it seems to work great. it didnt tear the screen up at all just made the surface very rough. i cant get my camera to focus in close enough to get a pic

Banned

I had an idea a while back of embedding some fine coral sand into some plastic canvas by either burying it in the sand and baking it in an oven or by using a gas torch to melt it a little and then throwing some sand on top while it cools.

Your sand blasting idea sounds good though. The only trouble is, most of us won't have access to the equipment.

I like the idea of baking it in agronite. If I knew for sure what type of plastic it was I could tell you what temp to set the oven at. Its probably nylon so about 270 degrees F..if its HDPE about 350.

If that doesn't work(if you just get a puddle of sandy plastic)..perhaps a bed of sand and just lay the canvas over it..watch it till it melts a little..then remove the pan and press it into the sand a bit with another pan ..then let cool..flip and do the other side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah
    If that doesn't work(if you just get a puddle of sandy plastic)..perhaps a bed of sand and just lay the canvas over it..watch it till it melts a little..then remove the pan and press it into the sand a bit with another pan ..then let cool..flip and do the other side.
    Good idea.

I'm not convinced that it would be any better than a well roughed up plastic canvass screen but it might be worth a trial.

I think it would be better technically. coral sand is more porous than the nylon screen.

However I'm not sure if it would be better in practice..or better enough to make much difference. I got a nano(pico) scrubber in the works with a 4"x4" screen..Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Hello!

I am using this screen material on a single sided scrubber, it is very rough and the algae is hard to scrape of:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtop ... f=3&t=1301

Jnad

Banned

Are you guys all having problems with algae detaching from the screen? Is that why you're trying to find ways of getting it rougher?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Are you guys all having problems with algae detaching from the screen? Is that why you're trying to find ways of getting it rougher?

Not for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information