+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: idea on screen roughness

Banned

Re: idea on screen roughness

Thanks for the updates.

So far though there doesn't seem to be any noticeable advantage over well roughed up plastic does there?

It's still early though so please keep updating.

DAY 13:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Day 14:
    Ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate 5

Day 15:
    This is day 7 of having live stock in the tank(I got no growth until the day immediately after I added the fish). Up to that point there probably was not much for the algae to consume and grow with.
    Cleaned the screen today with a toothbrush Removed most of the algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy Pumpy
    Thanks for the updates.

So far though there doesn't seem to be any noticeable advantage over well roughed up plastic does there?

It's still early though so please keep updating.
    I'm not sure. I wouldn't think that the method would be substantially better no matter what as we all know that a rough screen works fine. This method could possibly be easier to do. I more or less did it because it was easy, people were curious, and I was pretty sure it would not be worse. As mentioned before I am using 7 1w warm white LED about 1.25 inches from the screen and I only have 7 of them on the screen measuring roughly 4"x4". So just the fact that I'm using LED pretty much makes it impossible to draw any good conclusions anyhow. I'm just happy to see the screen growing with the set up I got.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaahxl
    I'm not sure. I wouldn't think that the method would be substantially better no matter what as we all know that a rough screen works fine. This method could possibly be easier to do. I more or less did it because it was easy, people were curious, and I was pretty sure it would not be worse. As mentioned before I am using 7 1w warm white LED about 1.25 inches from the screen and I only have 7 of them on the screen measuring roughly 4"x4". So just the fact that I'm using LED pretty much makes it impossible to draw any good conclusions anyhow. I'm just happy to see the screen growing with the set up I got.

Yes we'd need to see different scenes compared compared on a like for like basis to know for sure which was the best.

I was going to try to with my new screen but it was too big to fit in the oven. Maybe I should have cut it in half and run one part as roughed up and the other as baked in sand?

I might do that later on but I want to get the thing established and get the display tank stable first.

Please keep updating though, it's interesting seeing how your sandy scene develops.

Way to think out of the box.

I might have to try SeaChem Flourite
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... urite.html
    in my freshwater scrubber (rough in nature and might supply iron very directly to the algae?)

Maybe black sand?
    http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20101204-20834.html

This is how I roughen my screens.
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=496

Good luck and thanks for posting

Banned

Any update?

sorry for the extended absence. My conclusion here. At least as far as onesided screen goes. There was no noticeable benefit. If done double sided it would probably be inferior due to light penetration issues due to the sand. The Pico stabilized and runs with the lighting specified and maintains good water quality. The unit was given to a sick friend. While I no longer am able to personally monitor the system. Second hand information from the new owner says the system is algae free and the fish is happy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information