+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lighthouse LED ATS Experiment

Re: Lighthouse LED ATS Experiment

My nems are very upset lately. Moving around like crazy.

Had a fairly major setback with this. The lights are not holding up well against the high moisture of my sump. One light has stopped working altogether. So I'm discontinuing the use of these lights. I'll likely use the one working light to grow sea grass or maybe on the outside of a glass tank based ATS for my breeding system or something. I've ordered acrylic and lights to make a SM100. It should be quieter and have no spraying and leaking issues. I do believe the LED ATS would work (grow enough algae) but I would have to build a very large box for it and that won't fit in my DT sump. Back to the drawing board.

Banned

I wondered if that was going to happen to you. Those have an intake fan on the back so all the moisture from the open screen is getting blown right into the fixture. It would probably have worked much better with an enclosed box, or at least a spray blocker to keep the moisture contained.

I've always had spray blockers up thankfully (thin plexiglass covering both sides of the screen that are about 2" bigger than the screen). The rust generally wipes right off on the outside of the fixutre but I would bet the damage is bad internally since one fixture is caput already. I thought about building clear acrylic boxes to encase them, but without some kind of dessicant to dry the air they'd still be very humid. It's too bad really. I will continue to tinker with the LEDs but for now I'm rolling back to a "sure thing" design for good filtration. I'm going to dismantle the one that won't work anymore and try to replace the drivers to get it working again....when I have time for such nonsense. I have baby humans and baby fish to raise!

Banned
    Any update on your system?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information