Thread: Building a new acrylic scrubber

Threaded View

Building a new acrylic scrubber

I have started to build a new acrylic scrubber for my tank (5ft long 2.5 ft high 2 ft front to back Bowfront)
    it is 2 ft long by 15 inches high & 8 inches deep, it is comprised of 3 sections:

a water tight central section made of clear acrylic drilled at the top for 40mm pipe that houses the screens.
    This section is 3 inches front to back with a 40mm pipe running the length of this section, slit at the bottom
    and housing the screen. The top of the pipe is removable to allow access to the screens.

The screens are 2 x 12 inches wide by 12 inches long

2 end sections with the lighting in. The outside long edges are made of polished mirrored acrylic, with the
    mirror facing in to act as powerful reflectors. 3 energy saver bulbs evenly spaced are contained in each side.
    Producing and equivilent of 600 watts of light, but actually ony using 120 watts.

The lid is a pushfit design lipped around the center section to keep it watertight , it is removable and allows
    access to the screens, pipe, and the lighting in the outer sections.

The ends are drilled top and bottom, with the 40mm pipe entering one side and exiting the other at the top, with
    an end cap to allow quick access to the pipe for blockage, and also to allow me to fit an overflow system in case of blockage.

The scrubber is drilled and fitted with a 40mm 90 degree elbow joint comming off the bottom of the scrubber to allow
    me to pipe the water either down in to the sump or elsewhere.

The water enters the scrubber via the pipe connected to the weir in the main tank, and is gravity fed saving on power usage.

ANy comments on this design by santamonica before I complete the build would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    reef addict by night

Thread Information