+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diff ATS Screen Material Options?

Diff ATS Screen Material Options?

My homegrown ATS has the typical screen, bought from a hobby store. I am considering an updated ATS build this year and would like to have a rigid screen, not flexible.
    :geek: Any ideas out there? :geek:
    My 1st thought is taking some FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) and drilling holes or cutting slots. I want something thicker & stronger than the flexible screen. thx, Bill
    Hooked on the hobby~ 150gal starphire reef tank. AquaticLife T5HO fixture. Koralia wavemaker with 4ea K4's. 30gal sump, Algae Turf Scrubber, No skimmer or reactor

Re: Diff ATS Screen Material Options?

Hey Bill. You can use anything you like (non-toxic of course), but the material must have enough irregularities on the surface for the algae to adhere to. Otherwise it falls off and pollutes your tank, which defeats the purpose of the scrubber. The screen material we all use now is ideal because of the ability to rough up the surface so the algae hangs on. If you do find something else that works, I'm sure everyone would be interested, especially those Euro folks unable to purchase their screen from the craft store.

How about this; an acrylic sheet drilled with holes and have the sheet scored up. Have you ever seen one of those metal brushes for sheeps wool? I could heat that up with a torch and roughen the sheets up. I bet even the normal hole saw bit would work. The drilled holes would allow algae to remain for regrowth.
    Hooked on the hobby~ 150gal starphire reef tank. AquaticLife T5HO fixture. Koralia wavemaker with 4ea K4's. 30gal sump, Algae Turf Scrubber, No skimmer or reactor

this works great for me,
    just rough it up a bit with sand papaer
    http://cgi.ebay.com/moss-Mesh-L-Live-Aq ... 3a518a4f6f

Banned

I'm currently using a natural limestone floor tile, which I roughed up a bit with a vibrating tool and some abrasive paper.

Algae seems to like it well enough. Its a bit heavy though.

I have considered using one of those large cheap plastic chopping boards roughed up in the same way

Banned

The reason the plastic canvas works so well is because it has small holes in it that the algae can fill into, so once your screen is mature, after you clean it, it grows back rather easily and very quickly. With the #7 mesh, the holes are tight enough that the algae is actually quite difficult to remove without scrubbing with a brush.

Also, initially when you rough it up, you get plenty of shards that strings of algae can cling to, and that the algae mat at the base can grab on to while it matures.

I seem to see threads a lot with people looking for something better. Glass screens with sand texture, concrete, tile, acrylic, etc. I see nothing that makes these better. As far as the people in Europe, if they can't get it, I would be willing to set up a group ship to someone so they can get them. I feel they are that important to success and i have yet to hear about anything, short of Adey's latest patent for the 3-D mesh, that even comes close to being as good.

Administrator

Yes, at $1 per sheet, some Euro reef clubs could just order a case.

Banned

Also you can get the #7 mesh sheet in several different levels of softness/hardness.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information