+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know if this has been tried?

Banned

Re: Anyone know if this has been tried?

No feeding for a week is what did it. Remind me, do you have fish in the tank?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    No feeding for a week is what did it. Remind me, do you have fish in the tank?

Yes, a yellow tang, a coral beauty, four chromis & a pair of clowns (plus CUC).

I think you're right about the no feeding, but can't explain the increase in the green hairy stuff in the display tank.

Banned

Yow. I'm surprised they survived. Why didn't you at least get an automatic feeder and have it drop a few pellets in every day?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Yow. I'm surprised they survived. Why didn't you at least get an automatic feeder and have it drop a few pellets in every day?
    I've got one, but after consulting on another forum decided to leave it for a week.

There's loads of pods in there and I was hoping the herbivores would graze on the green hairy stuff, but they didn't

None of the fish appeared in any worse condition than when I left them.

Administrator

Sounds like lack of flow. Only add iron if you can't add flow.

Do the nail thing with caution... might contain other metals that you don't want, and they will reach the corals before they reach the scrubber.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Sounds like lack of flow. Only add iron if you can't add flow.

Do the nail thing with caution... might contain other metals that you don't want, and they will reach the corals before they reach the scrubber.

The flow's the same as it was when I left it. And more than it was in the first couple of weeks (see up the thread). It's getting about 52 litres per hour per inch (35 US gals)

On refection you might be right about the nail. I'll remove it & get some chelated iron.

Banned

Fluffy green stuff growing in my display which nothing will eat and which seems to be increasing despite the scrubber

I don't think it's any type of hair algae as nothing will eat it, not even hermit crabs.

I suspect that it's some sort of green cyano (although it seems to prefer areas of high flow)

Any thoughts?

Banned

Most definitely GHA and most definitely not cyano. Cyano is slimy and usually grows like a mat, coating rocks, gravel, etc. The crabs/snails won't eat the GHA probably because it's too long. Most snails won't eat anything over about 1/2" long IIRC. This could be a result of the week of no feeding but not sure. Should be out-competed eventually. Manual removal may help.

Administrator

Either you scrubber is getting weaker or stronger.

If weaker, you should be getting thin nuisance algae all over the rocks, sand and back wall.

If stronger, you should be getting no algae all over the rocks, sand and back wall, except for these current blocks of algae which are surviving from the P leaving the rocks. I think this is the case because they are at the peaks of rocks, which is always the last place for P to removed from.

Banned

I agree, looks like it's getting stronger, or at least finally catching up to the nutrient load of the tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information