+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scrubber for bass fry tank?

scrubber for bass fry tank?

I set up a 135 gallon tank for raising 1-2" baby bass till they reach about 4-6" . this is to protect them from predators in my pond. there will be about 20 baby bass. I have no idea how much they will be eating and they will grow at different rates and will be taken out as they grow. so what is the best guess on scrubber screen size and flow rate ????

Administrator

Re: scrubber for bass fry tank?

Scrubber Size Guideline, using feedings:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 real watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 real watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 real watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is. And for Nori, 8 square inches = 1 cube.

If your scrubber is one-sided, double the wattage.

im totally into the algae scrubber but can i ask, where do you get ur data and calculations on what size screen and wattage you would need for X amount of cubes you use? just curious. are there any studies, experiments, or is it just from experience?

Administrator

Mostly from feedback from hundreds of users, plus my own usage going on 3 years.

again, im a 100% scrubber enthusiast...i go by your calculations! but sometimes you sound so authoritative with your numbers when in fact they are arbitrary ... maybe there should be scientific data behind your calculations? maybe do some experiments or run tests?

That's what he has done. Ran tests on his own tank, feeding till he gets a P reading, and thus knowing what the "limit" is of his tank.

Administrator

Scientific tests do not matter; only results from average users matters. If most average users don't get enough filtering from a particular size, then the size needs to be bigger.

This was the case with 1-sided screens: They need to have twice the wattage, for the same screen size, to filter the same as a 2-sided screen.

And with horizontal screens: They need to have 4 times the area, and 1.5 times the wattage, to get the same filtering as a 2-sided screen.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information