+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cooler for pico aquarium

Cooler for pico aquarium

I have a sealed 1.6gallon pico aquarium. at 74 degrees F ambient its running 84+. I was contemplating using a peltier cooler to make a cooling unit for it. Either cutting a hole in the side of the tank in the sump area and siliconing the colds side so it touches the water(probably a skim coat of silicone to protect it). OR running a coil of hose on the cold side to pick up the cooling.

I was considering a 25w peltier unit I can get for like 15$(bare cooler) and building one. Does anyone have any input on this endevor?

I'm thinking since its sealed and seems to hold heat it will probably hold cold as well and hoping i wont take much to cool it back down.

Cooler for pico aquarium

How's this working for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaah View Post
    I have a sealed 1.6gallon pico aquarium. at 74 degrees F ambient its running 84+. I was contemplating using a peltier cooler to make a cooling unit for it. Either cutting a hole in the side of the tank in the sump area and siliconing the colds side so it touches the water(probably a skim coat of silicone to protect it). OR running a coil of hose on the cold side to pick up the cooling.

I was considering a 25w peltier unit I can get for like 15$(bare cooler) and building one. Does anyone have any input on this endevor?

I'm thinking since its sealed and seems to hold heat it will probably hold cold as well and hoping i wont take much to cool it back down.

I have though about the same thing....But my thought was to get a copper block drill holes put fittings on each side. mount the peltier to the copper block with a heat sink and fan or you will burn them up. and pump the water through the copper block, but not sure if the copper is safe for the fish. I've never looked it up. I will do that now.... I have mounted one to a processor heat sink and fan and used it to cool my coke in the summer.....

A copper link http://magazine.mining.com/Issues/09...umanHealth.pdf

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information