+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light source suggestions

How my algae is growing

Floyd:

Took your suggestion, cut a new pipe without the slots. I have been adding FE, I am up to three times a week 3ml per dose, 9ml last week.
    [attachment=1:1u2m9b6o]side 1[/attachment:1u2m9b6o]
    [attachment=0:1u2m9b6o]side 2[/attachment:1u2m9b6o]

here are the tank parameters:
    Salinity 1.0245
    temp 82
    ph 8.0
    NH3 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Phosphate 0
    Calcium 440
    Algae production 2 oz. Production has been as high as 5 oz, but has been 2 oz the last two weeks. I have been attempting to increase the flow, I am still getting algae growth on the back glass and on the spray bar. Growth is starting to reduce the rocks. I will say the 5oz week was actually 9 days, on a business trip and had to let it go a fee days. The 7 days after that was 3oz and then 2oz for the last 2 weeks.

Not sure if anybody has any suggestions on increasing the green. It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Re: Light source suggestions

Looks liked blocked flow.

Banned

Is your slot wide enough?

I cut it with a table saw, which should be a 1/8" wide cut, based on the width of the blade plus the cut overage. I actually flipped the tube last week, because I was getting more growth on the far end of the screen versus the supply end. It is now a more even flow.

If you think it would improve it, I will see if I can widen the slot a little bit and see it that will help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kent

Banned

I have my slot tube cut slightly wider than 1/8", but mine is a mess right now. I cut it originally with a dremel then added small crosscuts (before the FAQ said no longer recommended - actually I pointed that out) and then widened it out a bit when I got the flow to the screen increased significantly (fixed plumbing) and just haven't had time to re-cut the tube.

I would say if you are getting squirting/excess flow, then your slot might be a bit too tight. Widen it very, very slightly, like 1/16", and see if that helps. If the flow is 'piling up' on one end, then you have a pinched screen. The screen should fit somewhat loosely into the slot. If you can insert the screen into the slot and pick it up without the screens falling out (without ties in place, obviously) then your slot is too narrow.

The other thing to look at is whether the tube is hanging free vertically, or if when you have the tube/screen installed that the tube is rotated such that the screen is in contact with one edge of the slot. This would prevent flow to one side of the screen and may result in the growth you are seeing. Whenever I clean and re-install the screen, I am very adamant to make sure the screen is fully vertical and the slot is facing straight down so that the water flows freely and evenly down both sides.

I must have missed the memo about no cross cut slots!!! Maybe I will try just a straight slot even though the cross cut slot is doing fine.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Just completed smoothing out and widening the slot. I checked the slot and found if had some slight variance, form 1/8 to slightly less then that. It also was not smooth or straight. Instead of widening is by a 1/16, I have increased it by a 1/32, plus smoothed and straightened it out. I also took a flat file, which was 1/8 wide and taped the slot so that it is wider on the inside of the tube, then the outside. Established a center line on the opposite side from the slot, so that I make sure it is hanging perpendicular from the tube.

So far it has made the scrubber is running a lot quieter and it appears that the flow is more even over the entire screen. Should know more when I clean it on Sunday.

Kent

Here is my normal seven day cleaning. I altered the slot on day two but did not clean. It appears to have more even growth but color is lacking a green. flash on the camera actually give a more brown/red cast. Yield still 2 oz. still dosing 9 ml FE per week, wanted to do 12, but forgot 3ml on Saturday.
    [attachment=0:14mqb4p2]web1023_2.jpg[/attachment:14mqb4p2]
    [attachment=1:14mqb4p2]web1023_1.jpg[/attachment:14mqb4p2]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

How are tests?

sorry about that
    salinity 1.025
    PH 7.8
    NH3 .25 ( i have a fish missing)
    Nitrite 0