+ Reply to Thread

Thread: switching out tanks w/scrubber

switching out tanks w/scrubber

Hi everyone...new here, but have been running a scrubber-only 90gal tank for over a year now with great success. I've been lurking on the outside of this forum for even longer, mostly because any questions I had were always answered by reading back posts.
    I'm upgrading to a 6' 120gal tank in a few days, and I had a couple of questions regarding the scrubber during the switch.
    I have the 90 plumbed to a 40gal sump/scrubber which will be staying in place during the tank move.
    How can I maximize the time I have the scrubber down without risking the screen dying off? Is it possible to keep the screen submerged in tank water while I'm switching the tanks out? I'm thinking its probably going to be a day-long process (if I'm lucky). I even considered temporarily routing the return pump directly back to the screen while I worked on the switch so I could keep the sump running actively, lights and all...what do you all think?

Since its my first post, I'd like to thank SM for making my tank what it is today. I was ready to buy a big ol skimmer for my new tank build when I came across some of the info SM had posted. That was all it took, and I've never looked back. NEVER had algae in DT, NEVER had readable nitrates/phos after cycle, and have probably changed out maybe 40gal of water since setup. Personally I find running a scrubber almost as fun as the tank itself!
    Although I'm sure you hear it all the time...thanks SM!

Administrator

Re: switching out tanks w/scrubber

Wow glad to see you went a full year with good results

You should have no problem moving... you can keep a screen in just still tank water for a few days with no real harm. Stir it every few hours but that's it. You should clean it right before you move; it's just like a fish... the smaller it is the less nutrients it will need to stay alive.

Re: switching out tanks w/scrubber

'a few days?'...that's awesome! I was so afraid I would lose my screen during the tank switch! Even knowing I could go overnight is a relief!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information