+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic ATS Question

Basic ATS Question

I've been reading a lot so forgive me for not coming across this specific info yet.

In regards to building my ATS do I size the screen and lighting for the total system gallons or just for the size of the display tank. I have a 120G tank with a 65g sump that will hold 40g when running so approximately 160g total but probably a little less factoring equipment, rockwork, etc. I've been figuring on the screen being 10"x16" with a 70W CFL on each side (140w total) of which I'll build my own reflectors for out of highly reflective material in order to encompass the entire screen on each side. Shooting for approx 350-385gph flow rate.

Does this sound about right for an ATS ONLY system? I will have a skimmer but my goal here would be to run the system without it. The tank will be SPS dominant.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: Basic ATS Question

More important than gallons is feeding:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 real watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 real watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 real watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is. And for Nori, 8 square inches = 1 cube.

Next, once CFL bulb will not cover a 16" screen. Needs at least two per side.

Next, there is no 70 watt CFL bulb (for our purposes). The biggest is about 43 watts.

Lastly, if you decide to feed liquid coral food, there is no limit to how powerful your scrubber must be; the more you feed (there is no limit), the more powerful your scrubber must be.

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the CFL's these are the one's that I was planning on. They are supposed to be 70 actual watts a piece. 4 pin base not mogul. 2700k. 9" long and I was planning on doing custom reflectors with angles kind of like a diy luminarc style reflector. Do you still think that these would not be enough light? They will be pretty close to the screen when it's all said and done. http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/53669/ ... 627OD.html

Administrator

Those will have to be 8 to 10 inches from the screen to keep from burning it. And the ends of the 16" still would not get enough light. Still much better to do 2 smaller bulbs on each side.

Wow, ok. I used similar bulbs at work before and didn't think they produced that much heat. Or is it an issue of to much luminous output? The lighting isn't really set in stone just yet so I'm still looking and open to other options. I appreciate the info.

Administrator

Lumens

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information