+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

Hi all. I've decided I want to build a scrubber for my tank. I want to put it above my sump and use my inlet pipe from the weir to feed it. The plans are for it to be about 500x300x210. The total volume of my tank and sump is 577 litres (152.5 US gallons). This is the max capacity ie if the tank and sump were full to the brim, which of course they won't be but I decided it best to work the figures to this then if anything it will be slightly over size . My screen will be around 19" x 11" (or two smaller screens making the same area, supplies dependent). I may even make the overall length a bit more depending on space.

I am looking to use at least 8 20cfl's but again, dependent on space I will fit more if it's possible.

I want to use 6mm polycarbonate sheet for the construction as I have quite a bit available at no cost to myself so it's the cheap option also it has a higher temperature range than acrylic and is much easier to cut

My 1st question (of many to come over the following weeks) is what is the best product to use for sticking poly sheets together in the 1st place?

Also please feel free to give any advice, constructive criticism etc along the way. I like as much info as possible before I begin any project, especially when it's related to my beloved tank.

Thanks
    Julian

Administrator

Re: Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

19" long is almost long enough for 24" T5's... which only put out light for 20"

8 CFL's is 4 on each side. You'll want to hang them sideways from their cords, and use sideways reflectors like the ones that come with utility lights.

I was thinking something like this. I wasn't going to hang them as such as i want them to stay put, if i need to move it for cleaning purposes etc, so they don't swing around and break anything

The drawing is pretty much to scale and as you can see i can get 5 each side pretty comfortabley. I will also use a beer can reflector on each bulb. The box will be made from 6mm clear polycarbonate sheet, and I will paint the outside to minimise light loss.

Administrator

Will there be a bottom?

Yes mate. If needed i could even fit more lights in the bottom facing upwards.

Or do what I have done and hand other lights at a different height between the ones you have in place already...
    (Ive got 12 cfls runing on mine)
    reef addict by night

My main concern at the moment is how i can bond the polycarbonate together sufficiently? And also if this will be enough filtering for my tank? I only feed 1 cube a day if that helps?

Thanks
    Julian

Administrator

Then you need to have the lights near the bottom; not the top. Most filtering will come from the 3D at the bottom of the box as it starts building up. Light underneath won't do any good; they'll covered by growth quickly.

Banned

You need to read up quite a bit and learn how to properly fabricate a box, especially if it is going to have a bottom, as you have to build it as if it were an aquarium. Forget polycarbonate. There isn't a tank builder in the world that would build a watertight box out of polycarbonate. ONLY acrylic. Bond strength is not high enough.

Ok thanks for the info guys. Can get my hands on a sheet of 6mm acrylic which is 1m x 2m so that should be sufficient. I'm in the process of building a 3D diagram/plan so will post that up when it's complete and you can give me some pointers on that

Thanks
    Julian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information