+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

Banned

Re: Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

yes that will do. The next thing you need to figure out is if you can get Weld-on 4 where you are at. Outside of the USA it can be hit or miss, but #3 or #4 is what you want at a minimum, or something chemically very similar.

I found this uk supplier of acrylic adhesives. I couldnt find a weld on supplier other than the PVC pipe cement. Any idea if any of these products will work?

http://www.hindleys.com/catalog/index.p ... h=7_57_516

Thanks
    Julian

Banned

Yes the liquid solvent cement is your stuff. dichloromethane is also called Methylene Dichloride and it the active ingredient. Here in the states you can buy that straight up. Works fast though. It looks like there is another ingredient in that stuff, but not familiar with it. Should be fine. I think I've seen it referenced on the DIY section of RC's big acrylics fabrication thread, which is worth the read if you have a week. It's 8 years old and I think 5000 posts but tons and tons of good info.

excellent. I'll check that out when i get some free time/weeks lol. Thanks for the help.
    Here is the basis for the design. Pretty straight forward, will just need to incorporate some latches to hold it together and make it easy to dismantle for cleaning and bulb replacements

Thanks
    Julian

Banned

You need a cross-brace across the top edge of the box or else it will bow outwards. A 1" wide strip perpendicular to the side window within an inch or two of the top will do.

Administrator

And reflector material on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    You need a cross-brace across the top edge of the box or else it will bow outwards. A 1" wide strip perpendicular to the side window within an inch or two of the top will do.
    I'm not exactly sure where you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    And reflector material on the walls.
    I have a couple pieces of mirror finish acrylic sheet which i'm going to try and encorperate. If not it will be good old beer cans I have plenty of them :lol:

Banned

The SM100 has a piece of horizontal acrylic mounted perpendicular to the top edge of the screen box. This is not only to protect the light fixture from water dripping on it when you take out the screen, it also provides a brace along the top edge of the box. Acrylic will bow outward in your design. You need to build it like and "I" beam (or "H" beam on it's side).

Right, I think I get it.
    I have added here a 20mm square bar across the length drilled with 10mm holes. This should strengthen the box and also gives a way to attatch the light holders to it, buy fitting them with dowel pins to suite the holes in the bar

Polycarbonate scrubber housing?

Right. My LFS can supply ambroid pro-weld, which includes methylene chloride, and is used for acrylic tank repairs. So I'm going to order up some of that and my pipework, unions, elbows etc and will hopefully be able to pick it all up Friday and make a start .

On another note. I've seen the design for your scrubber (floyd) and I love the way it opens up to make screen removal easy. I might try to do something like that as it would save me having to remove the box every week. Excellent idea

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information