+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY iron supplement

DIY iron supplement

Well I looking for a DIY method to dose iron for my scrubber. The only thing I could come up with is leaving some small piece of iron to rust way in the sump... What do you think?

Re: DIY iron supplement

you can buy iron suplement pills at your local drug store most of them are reef safe and i know fore a fact that the brand (CVS) and the brand (FERGON) are safe as i have been using them for over a year. the proper way to use them is to disolve a tablet in ro water and let the fillers settle to the bottom then dose the clear liquid but i have been using the whole tabs for 6 months without issue

Administrator

Some people have put iron nails in the sump. I can't recommend it though, never tried it.

DIY iron supplement

Quote Originally Posted by new2scrub
    you can buy iron suplement pills at your local drug store most of them are reef safe and i know fore a fact that the brand (CVS) and the brand (FERGON) are safe as i have been using them for over a year. the proper way to use them is to disolve a tablet in ro water and let the fillers settle to the bottom then dose the clear liquid but i have been using the whole tabs for 6 months without issue
    How much do I dose? When did you start using the tabs? Do you know what fillers they use?

DIY iron supplement

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Some people have put iron nails in the sump. I can't recommend it though, never tried it.
    Do you know who? Or posts of them attempting this? I am looking for a household source of iron.

Banned

As it happens, I just did this today.

Just one small nail to begin with. I'll let you know what happens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy Pumpy
    As it happens, I just did this today.

Just one small nail to begin with. I'll let you know what happens.

Just went & had a look. It's only been 4 or 5 hours and it's already visibly rusty

[quote=Rumpy Pumpy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rumpy Pumpy":30ckmv0o
    Just went & had a look. It's only been 4 or 5 hours and it's already visibly rusty
    [/quote:30ckmv0o]

Nice! Where in your sump did you put it? I wonder if iron nails have other metals in it...? This would be a nice way to keep your iron levels up without doing much work. I wonder how fast it will break down.

Thanks! please do keep us updated thanks again!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by srusso
    Nice! Where in your sump did you put it? I wonder if iron nails have other metals in it...? This would be a nice way to keep your iron levels up without doing much work. I wonder how fast it will break down.

Thanks! please do keep us updated thanks again!!!

Right next to the return pump.

I don't think it's pure iron. I think it's mild steel but Google suggests that steel alloys don't contain copper, which is the biggest concern.

I don't have an iron test kit. Maybe I'll get one from Ebay and monitor the levels.

Banned

I'd have to look it up, but I've seen pics of people with planted tanks where they run a canister filter and dozens of nails just placed in the filter canister between a couple pieces of media. I think just about any standard nail will do and I wouldn't place it too close to the pump intake, just in the water flow path is fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information