+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elos 120 - ATS only

Elos 120 - ATS only

I just wanted to show my Elos 120 with an SM-100 ATS. The tank is 340 liters. The lights are DIY 280W LED + 2x54W t5 Actinic.

I have had the tank for 14 months. The ATS has been running since April, and for more than two months it's now the only N&P export. No skimmer, no filtersocks, no GFO, no GAC and no biopellets. I feed quite heavy with live phyto, reef pearls, D&D SPS food etc. I'm cleaning the media once a week, sometimes more often. I have a lot of SPS and at least three Gorgonias that are Azoox. I have a lot of different tubeworms/cocoworms and a couple of Tridacna clams. I have at least five different Zoas and a lot of different discosomas. All livning things seems to love the free floating food which is abundant.

One week of growth

After cleaning ATS-media

Growing Phyto

It's very bright (there's a window next to the tank) so it's hard to get a good picture of the whole tank. But this is it anyway. The rocks on the right are just added after a rescape due to fast growing corals.

Re: Elos 120 - ATS only

Administrator

I wish I could take such good pics and vids

Very impressive!

Another proof that ATS = brilliant!

Great photos. Well done.

WOW! nice tank! its so good to know ATS can do wonders in our tank.. do you dose like calcium, Alk, mag, etc? or what are your maintenance? TIA

Nice video too! Wow! what camera your using?

Wow! Thanks for all the nice comments!

Some more info:
    I use the Fauna Marin Balling Light system to dose CA, MG and Alk. In this system you also put some trace elements in the containers, so that's about it when it comes to dosing. This dosing is all automated using a Profilux 4 channel doser. All food is still put in the tank manually and this is something I will have to fix eventually. I try to be as diverse as possible when it comes to food. I dose live phyto a couple of times every week plus live cultured copepods when my culture seems big enough. I use five types of dry coral food in random order every day during the week. I currently use: Reef Pearls, Salifert liquid coral food, Preis Coral-Energizer, D-D H20cean Pro+ SPS, NLS Reef Micro Feeder and Cyclop-Eeze. I dose more than three times the recommended amount of food and I'm guessing the recommendations are not for the corals, but rather the amount you should stick to so you won't get algae in the tank. Well, I have an ATS, so I dose more.. :P

Maintenance is really easy for this tank, I clean the ATS media once a week, I add RO top off water once a week and I have a powerhead in the sump which i start sometimes to get rid of detritus (food) that is building up in the sump, this powerhead I'm probably going to put on a timer and run nightly.

The camera I'm using is a Nikon D7000. I use it for stills and video.

Banned

What is the coral in the second picture? Looks like a "Purple Monster" which is known to be one of the slowest growing corals out there. If that is the coral it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on growth using an ATS with all that food. Seems like it would grow quicker but you never know.

What type of LEDs are you using? Those look like multi-chips, and a couple HUGE ones mixed in with the others. Nice conversion on your fixture adding them in.

I think it's called Acropora valida (don't know about the monster part) and I bought it from Dejong (famed for their corals) in Holland (through a Swedish store called BIOTED Marine). It's deep purple with pale green polyps. It's a real slow grower.. I got it about 9 months ago as a large frag. It has grown about 5 cm since then. The one in the picture is my first frag of it. I never see any white growth zones on it, It only gets pale purple tips as it grows. The growth sure does respond to feeding, in the last couple of months (since I removed the skimmer) the growth has accelerated.

I bought the LED's from this store. http://stores.ebay.com/acrc/category...sub=3018047018

Some friends of mine has done the same and we all built DIY lights. So far everyone have had great success with their SPS corals under this lighting. I have mixed 20 pcs. 16K 10W chips with 2 pcs. 10K 50W. So I have 2x54W Actinic T5 + 20x10W + 2x50W = a total of 408W but I'm running the 10W:s on about 9W now so that's about 388W when it's 100% on. I think that's sufficient for a 340 liter tank.. ;P

The chips I use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10W-16000K-High-...#ht_1545wt_922

http://cgi.ebay.com/50W-10000K-High-...#ht_1038wt_922

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information