+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighting and flow questions

Lighting and flow questions

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I cannot find it if it is.

The requirement for high level filtering is 1 fluorescent watt of light per gallon of water. Is this meant to be 1 watt per side of the screen or 1 watt in total? For instance, I have a 45 gal tank...Do I need 2x 23 watt bulbs or 2x 45 watt bulbs to meet the high filtering requirement?

Also, the requirement is for at minimum 35 gal/hour per inch of screen. Is there a maximum? Is there an ideal?

Lastly, in regards to screen size, is more better? 45 gal tank, I'd probably go with 7x7, but would it be better to go with 7x10 for instance?

Thanks!

Re: Lighting and flow questions

Quote Originally Posted by IM4DHERD
    Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I cannot find it if it is.

The requirement for high level filtering is 1 fluorescent watt of light per gallon of water. Is this meant to be 1 watt per side of the screen or 1 watt in total? For instance, I have a 45 gal tank...Do I need 2x 23 watt bulbs or 2x 45 watt bulbs to meet the high filtering requirement?
    -- 2 x 23 watt CFL

Also, the requirement is for at minimum 35 gal/hour per inch of screen. Is there a maximum? Is there an ideal?
    -- More is marginally better, but tuning the slot size and flow is a bit of an art and more flow won't necessarily make that easier. Just make sure you have enough.

Lastly, in regards to screen size, is more better? 45 gal tank, I'd probably go with 7x7, but would it be better to go with 7x10 for instance?
    -- I'd go with 7x10 or 9x9 for the screen. The single CFL bulb on each side is going to throw the light in roughly a circle. You want the area of that circle to be 45 sq in. Depending on your design, you might want to make the screen extra long so that it reaches the water in your sump. You don't need to light it all the way down, but having it touch the water will keep the noise and splashing down.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information