+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SM 100 style new build

Re: SM 100 style new build

What I did was build an "interior" box of acrylic laminated to wood with adhesive. It stuck tight, and the wood is providing the structural support. Then more wood was added as a base and to support the lights. I only used silicone to seal the seams on the inside of the box.

If I can't find the leak (which I suspect is the drain), what I probably will have to do is build another acrylic box using solvent weld, make sure it is watertight, then laminate that to the wood base and end pieces.

I would build two boxes, one out of acrylic the other out of wood, then drop the acrylic box into the wood one. That way you pull the acrylic one out for cleaning or repair if necessary. I like to be able to take things completely apart if possible.

On my new sump all of the dividers are in slots and grooves and are removable. The refugium can be removed completely from the sump and is complete self contained.

Kent

Not a bad idea, Kent. I like the drop-in idea.

On a sad note, had something really bad and gross happen today. I went to check on the algae growth and noticed some nice 3d growth starting (cleaning day was supposed to be tomorrow). But I also noticed a really nasty, sulfur-ish smell, almost like the way Prime smells. Then I noticed it was really, really wet around the tank. I pulled the scrubber down, took the lights out and found all kinds of leakage---and mold growing.

I cleaned out the drain, which appears to have been the cultprit, stripped out the old silicone and then applied new. I'm going to let it cure for 24 hours, then install the new bulkhead I got and do a water test. If that works, all is good.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to order some acrylic and start over. Sigh. Meanwhile, my tank is loosing some serious filtering. I'm going to have to cut down on feeding, do a big water change and hope I can get the scrubber up and running by Wednesday or so.

Administrator

An ouce or two of vodka will keep thing good for a few days.

Well, the bad news is that after re-siliconing the box still leaked. Badly. So I set it aside, worked a connection and got some free 1/4" acrylic (thanks so much, Kathy!!!) and did some fabrication today on my day off. I also rebuilt the wood box surrounding it, following Kent's suggestion, so that the acrylic SM-100 dimension box is removable. I also stained the wood pieces.

tomorrow I will do some water testing, capping the drain (fingers crossed). If that goes well, it all goes back together Sunday. Pictures coming soon. Hopefully.

Finally! Finally I have the scrubber back online, no leaks and scrubbing away. Just started it up today after having to do some plumbing and re-plumbing, rock adjustments, sound dampening and sundry other inconveniences. I ended up building an inner acrylic box than can slip in and out of the wood box which has the lights mounted on it. I had to re-make the slotted pipe, and messed up the slot somehow, so I have too much flow out of one end, making a lot of splashing noises. Hope my wife always wanted a "water feature." :lol:

I'll upload some pictures from my phone in the next post.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Nice work, how is the growth going?
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

In the 3 weeks I had it going before, I was just starting to get some GHA in places. Since I just re-started it yesterday, not much. I'll post some pictures next Friday after the first week. Thanks for your interest!

Cleaned my screen for the first time on the new build and was disappointed at the growth

Same pump, same screen, same distances, the only thing different was I had a new pipe, with a wider slot. Obviously the flow was off for some reason. Any ideas?

What I did today was make a new pipe with he standard 1/4" slot. I increased the flow in the pump maybe. Hard to tell.

Another pic with flash:
    Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information