+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ATS: Pushing the Limits...

Banned

Re: ATS: Pushing the Limits...

Or now that you have a mature screen, you could start the experiment over, and only use the fertilizer this time. Put a measured amount in, let it mix well and then do the dilution tests. Actually I'm going to steal your method if you don't mind and run a few tests of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Or now that you have a mature screen, you could start the experiment over, and only use the fertilizer this time. Put a measured amount in, let it mix well and then do the dilution tests. Actually I'm going to steal your method if you don't mind and run a few tests of my own.
    ...no problem. that way we can compare results. thanks!
    Beyond Concepts...

AUG 31

since i wasn't really convinced of the readings yesterday despite of testing it twice, i did another test today...

readings: ammonia is still 0 so as nitrite. but nitrate rose by 5ppm. PO4 dropped to 0. :shock:

the tank: there were bubble formations on the surface of the water that started last night. i found no micro bubbles coming from the ats' outflow so i was wondering what this reaction is all about... any ideas?

screen growth:

and as mr. floyd suggested, i poured in another batch of fertilizer and see how the mature screen will do the filtration.

this was about 50 grams of fertilizer

one question... how do i do the dilution test again? :?
    Beyond Concepts...

Bubbles could be a sign of proteins ie same stuff skimmer removes the bubbles look scummy so prob excess proteins in water if you put a skimmer in there it would prob go nuts

i see... that would probably be it. thanks!
    Beyond Concepts...

Banned

Dilution test is just like it sounds. Mix up fresh saltwater, not much, maybe a gallon or less, all you will really need is about 1/4 cup of fresh SW.

Take a measured sample of the tank water. I have 5mL syringes that come with the Salifert test kits which make it much more accurate to dilute. If you don't have one, just use a medicine syringe like what you use to give babies liquid medicine.

So let's say you have a 10mL syringe. Start by diluting the tank water 4:1, so 4 syringes of fresh SW, 1 of dog poop water, giving 50mL total and 20% original concentration (40+10 = 50, 10/50 = 0.2 = 20%). Test that and multiply the result by 5 (5 * 20% = 100%).

If the reading is too high, then do 5mL tank water and 45mL fresh SW and multiply the result by 10. If the reading is STILL too high, then 5mL and 95mL and multiply by 20. It's always better to use a larger sample, like 20mL:380mL for the 20x test, or 10mL to 90L for the 10x test, less room for error. But don't mix the 4:1 sample, then take 5mL out for the test, and then dilute that sample again, unless you can do the math to account for the 5mL sample removed before you add fresh SW. Easier to just mix a new batch.

I had to do this several times on tanks that had N > 800. It works well and you can put the vials from each test right next to each other and you really start to understand exactly what color on that darn Nitrate test actually means 20 or 40.

ok i'll try to do that. thanks!
    Beyond Concepts...

ATS: Pushing the Limits...

Excellent work! Keep posting the results!! I may need to post this on RC if that is ok with you. Many people need to see the power of this type of filtration!

...yes that would be fine sir.
    Beyond Concepts...

SEP 01/11

a day after the fertilizer reboot, i tested the water to see what's what...

API readings: ammonia rose to 8. there was also an increase in phosphate while pH had a significant drop...

the tank...

screen growth...

**i haven't done the dilution test yet.
    Beyond Concepts...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information