+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ATS: Pushing the Limits...

Re: ATS: Pushing the Limits...

unrelated perhaps... but not entirely. as the title suggested, we're trying to go further as to how far the ats could perform.
    Beyond Concepts...

OCT 09/11

API Readings: readings were the same. i'm getting the feeling that system has come to a stall... perhaps due to flow issues and toxicity.

the tank:

algae growth: i don't get the growth that i used to have even after changing the bulbs. i can only assume that that's probably due to the toxic byproduct of the fertilizer...

OCT 10/11

after 2 weeks of no cleaning:

i already discarded this and replaced it with the knitting screen...

OCT 11/11

API Readings: nitrate went up by 5 2 days after changing the screen. i noticed a slight change in the nitrite reading and is now leaning towards the color of 0.0

the tank:

algae growth: the new screen...
    Beyond Concepts...

Maybe a test with pure ammonia would be a good idea to push the limits. I would assume not all the chemicals in the fert would be present in a normal aquarium. Just an idea??!! Maybe start with an amount that would be 8PPM in your tank.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned

After seeing these results, I think I am going to just use ammonia, and maybe urea, for my test of the multi-band LED fixtures. I wonder too if the fertilizer has other things in it that might throw off the test. Though if using straight ammonia, you might end up with an algal growth of only a certain type, so maybe using some kind of mixture of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate but in purified, measurable forms. This is what I was looking for in the first place for doing my tests, and now that I have the fixtures I will have to re-visit that...

Quote Originally Posted by kerry
    I would assume not all the chemicals in the fert would be present in a normal aquarium. Just an idea??!! Maybe start with an amount that would be 8PPM in your tank.
    you're probably right. actually, this experiment is about the ats's capabilities to treat polluted waters and not just tank water.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    After seeing these results, I think I am going to just use ammonia, and maybe urea, for my test of the multi-band LED fixtures. I wonder too if the fertilizer has other things in it that might throw off the test. Though if using straight ammonia, you might end up with an algal growth of only a certain type, so maybe using some kind of mixture of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate but in purified, measurable forms. This is what I was looking for in the first place for doing my tests, and now that I have the fixtures I will have to re-visit that...
    i think the fertilizer byproducts are hard to treat. that's probably the reason why the algae is somehow growing slower than usual. btw, can you use pure ammonia to cycle a tank?
    Beyond Concepts...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTurtle
    btw, can you use pure ammonia to cycle a tank?
    I have done that a couple times. The last 10 years or so I have just thrown in a couple large peeled shrimps, I figured that was a more natural cycle and would invoke better bacteria but its all just a guess, I am not even sure if I am right or not. It seems to work for me and I do not risk any live stock. Lately, Since I have discovered the ATS method I don't have to cycle at all and I am very happy with that, I just set up and let it run a day a two as a break in to check for leaks or problems then stock away!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned

Yes but you have to use straight ammonia without surfactants. Some are actually ok to use. A surfactant causes liquid to spread out. All soap is a surfactant, but not all surfactants are soap. Rule of thumb is if you shake a bottle vigorously and it doesn't suds up and stay that way, then it's not a soap surfactant. I just get the one at Ace Hardware because it's super concentrated janitorial strength vs walmart or target wimpy stuff. I cycled a 225 gallon tank and did something like 6 teaspoons a day and that kept ammonia between 2 and 4. Cycled in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry
    Lately, Since I have discovered the ATS method I don't have to cycle at all and I am very happy with that, I just set up and let it run a day a two as a break in to check for leaks or problems then stock away!!
    i'll do this next time i set up a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
    Yes but you have to use straight ammonia without surfactants. Some are actually ok to use. A surfactant causes liquid to spread out. All soap is a surfactant, but not all surfactants are soap. Rule of thumb is if you shake a bottle vigorously and it doesn't suds up and stay that way, then it's not a soap surfactant. I just get the one at Ace Hardware because it's super concentrated janitorial strength vs walmart or target wimpy stuff. I cycled a 225 gallon tank and did something like 6 teaspoons a day and that kept ammonia between 2 and 4. Cycled in 3 weeks.
    ...do they leave something like residue or byproducts in the water?
    Beyond Concepts...

Banned

surfactants will leave a coating of soap on everything. If you use ammonia with surfactants, no bacteria will live in the tank. To get rid of it, you have to tear down the tank and scrub it over, and over, and over, and over, and over. And all decor too. Porous rock would have to be tossed.

sounds like a mess. i'll take note of that. thanks!
    Beyond Concepts...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information