+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12 x 12 enough?

12 x 12 enough?

My tank is about 150 uk gallons would a ats of 12 inches x 12 inches light at both sides be ok for me ?

Administrator

Re: 12 x 12 enough?

Does not matter how many gallons. Only matters how much you feed:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 real watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 real watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 real watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is. And for Nori, 8 square inches = 1 cube.

If your scrubber is 1-sided instead of 2-sided, you'll need twice the wattage (or you'll need to feed half as much) in order to make up for the inefficiency of 1-sided screens.

Re: 12 x 12 enough?

Many thanks m8 parts ordered I will just use a White 5 gallon water container with top cut off gravity fed right into my main tank the screen will be 12 x 12 and pump will be a 2400 lph tunze model lights will be clipped onto each side of the water container prob 24 watt liner compact flouresents at 2700 k pic will be added soon , my tank has 2.5 mg/l of phosphates but little nitrate prob due to the mud filter with caulerpha I have.
    Will post pics of tank alas are mostly closed my acro frag are dead bleached tank is a dark mess ATM . So I put the fact the alas are closed up due to high phosphate readings so hopefully the scrubber will turn the tank around

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information