+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: my new acyrilic led build

This was my inspiration to build an LED unit!!!! AND YES it WORKS!!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    What happened to all the guys that that rang in with "it won't work" replies? They kinda disappeared, didn't they?

Tom
    That is your first post and your trying to instigate something by bumping a thread that hasn't had a post in over 6 months!? Wow. Where are the pictures of this LED fixture WORKING? All I see is a flat green screen, no real growth to speak of. I would say from what I can see that these LED lights are a big fail for using in an ATS unless someone can post pictures showing any real amount of growth, otherwise save your $ and put some CFL bulbs on it because they will grow algae much better than the pictures I see in this thread.

I think Floyd nailed it early on with his comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I just know that if you're not putting in enough power to generate some kind of heat that must be sinked away, then you're not putting out enough light. That, and the fact that you're putting these on a large screen for a large system, it will grow some algae, but it will be barely scratching minimum filtration. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    That is your first post and your trying to instigate something by bumping a thread that hasn't had a post in over 6 months!? Wow. Where are the pictures of this LED fixture WORKING? All I see is a flat green screen, no real growth to speak of. I would say from what I can see that these LED lights are a big fail for using in an ATS unless someone can post pictures showing any real amount of growth, otherwise save your $ and put some CFL bulbs on it because they will grow algae much better than the pictures I see in this thread.

I think Floyd nailed it early on with his comment:

First, I should clarify... that was not my first post. Just my first since rejoining. I looked for my old registration info and gave up. I use throw-away email accounts for a LOT of public forums to keep spam and other junk email to a minimum... and I did not recall what email address I used for this one. Not that I have all that many posts back in 2009 either. Mostly some references to university studies on the efficacy of these scrubbers (that have been around a LONG, LONG time in commercial applications).

Last, the filter is obviously working. Trying to Monday-Morning quarterback stuff to say it is not is rather disingenuous, don't you think? Claiming it is not the be-all and end-all of algae scrubbers is stretching the point to make up for the hasty rush to claim failure.

Besides, I love sticking pins is some egos that get a bit large... large enough to post one-sentence replies stating flatly, and only, "it won't work". When it did.

Tom

I would think if it had really worked properly the thread would be full of pics from the op. But not even mentioning the lights he roughed the screen up with sandpaper and it wasn't rough enough lookinf to hold onto GHA which is what you wana grow. Any surface with nutrients + light + water = grow algae. I'm not trying to put anyone down here its just the way I see it.

Either way, this post got me fired up about the LED builds and caused me to learn a lot about our hobby and not just scrubbers. Thats what this forum has been all about. Taking ideas and information that someone else has started and expand on it. Even being shot down and told it would not work he still went for it and did get some algae to grow. Correct me if I am wrong but SM got a lot of the same when he first started this venture to get scrubbers noticed. I think its great that there are a lot of great thinkers and doers on this forum not to mention the knowledge of many people on here as well. This is the most informative forum I have ever been on. I have learned a wealth of knowledge here and am humbled to be a part of this great forum and the projects that better our hobby here.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    What this thread showed me is that LEDs are very good at producing green growth. Every tank is different and ever scrubber is different. So you can't take one example and duplicate it and expect the same result necessarily. With this tank in particular, the screen is very large compared to feeding (I'm assuming he's not feeding 12 cubes of food per day) so the screen is oversized and under lit, which should not grow green, yet it does. That is the tidbit of useful info I grabbed from this thread and yes, it does inspire one to go LED based on that alone, because that says a lot.

As far as filtering capacity, I still think it is bare minimum, but if it works for the system it's on, then it's the perfect scrubber. Haven't seen posts of the screen since the day 5 shot (and an impressive day 5 shot it was) so who knows how it's doing now, but it is definitely not something I would recommend someone build, that's all I'm sayin...

Santa Monica stated -not going to work- will you enlarge on this statement please. I too have looked at this light and it seems that .5 watt per LED X 112 in the red/blue spectrum and placed within a couple of inches should work a treat. I am hopefully going to build a scrubber with a 12x12 inch screen and really good flow. I am running a small scrubber at the moment and it grows algae like crazy , but far too small. This light panel looks to be just the job unless anyone can tell or show me otherwise. I am also going to build my new scrubber from ply. What a brilliant idea. Well waterproofed and it will be as durable as perspex and a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by Ratz; 04-09-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Added more text

Administrator
    Thanks for comments I am still not convinced the light is as weak as you state yes there are .5 watt LEDs and the other unit has 1 watt LEDs but the unit I have ordered has double the LEDs it is quoted as 1900 lumens the 50 watt UFO light is 2000 lumens so as I said in my other thread I will try this light on my mud filter first , I have seen one of these light locally and you can't look at the unit direct it's bright very bright I will post as much pics as possible thanks again as I said all comments are welcome
    The light is spread out across too large an area to give enough growth power with high nutrients. 50 of their "watts" is really about 30, and it's spread over 144 square inches. This is equal to about 60 real CFL watts. The display will win.

You want concentrated light, not spread out.

Nevertheless, wait 3 weeks for the new design before building anything.

Thanks for your reply. Am eagerly awaiting your new scrubber.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information