should i add coral zoo plankton with ats

does scrubber only is enough for feeding sps and corals

i dont have any sps food in my area

how can i make it alone feed the whole tank

i have newly added acros and i dont know what to feed

thnkx santa

Administrator

Re: should i add coral zoo plankton with ats

SPS will survive with no feeding, but will not grow much. Feeding your fish will provide a little more SPS food, and the SPS will grow a little more. But for faster SPS growth, you need to feed liquid coral food. Here is low-cost food you make yourself:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1153&start=20#p12460

Your feeding is only limited by how strong your scrubber is. Start feeding a little, and if your Nitrate and Phosphate do not increase after 2 weeks, then start feeding more.

what is the dimtntions of the cube u r talking about
    65 cubes in a 120 gal

i dont have sodium alginate in my country

i have shrimps
    spirulina
    nori
    and clams

i am not sure of having what u call oysters

also after freezing it in cubes

how i feed it to my corals ??

thnx santa

Administrator

1 cube is about 1cm X 1cm. In other words, about 1 cc.

Clams will work. Since you will not be using an automatic feeder, you do not have to add water unless your blender needs it. So blend about 30cc of clams for several minutes. Keep it in the refrigerator, and feed 1cc per day to your tank. Try to do it at night, when the corals are open.

Use a small spoon or your fingers, and put it directly into your water.

You leave the return pump on? I hate getting food stuck on the ATS screen and build up nutrient... What you think? Sorry for the double post. I posted the same question in the coral food DIY thread.

Amazing info. I'm still experimenting with feeding my SPS. It's such a divided topic from what I can see/hear/read. I have seen successfully SPS reefers feed and don't feed SPS. I got advice from most to not feed SPS... I guess I will just have to experiment with this and see where I will stand.

The objective is to have a healthy, thriving SPS tank. So whatever works for me, that's what I'll do.

The guys that I frag from are all experience reefers with very successful tanks and they only feed their fish. And that's about 2-3 times a day...

So it left me divided as to what to do lol.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP. But these questions maybe helpful to you too.

Scott. T

Administrator

They say don't feed because their filters can't handle it. Their corals also grow extremely slow compared to the ocean. Acro's grow an average of 12" per year in the wild. Plus, those reefers can't have any non-photo's at all without target feeding, and even with targetting, they still can't have most of them.

The particle sizes that should be fed are so small they should look like dust; so they won't get stuck anywhere.

Thanks for the reply SM. I'll try feeding once a night and keep a close eye on N and P.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information