+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was watching (tanked) and wondered...

was watching (tanked) and wondered...

just how many fish can i cram into my 45 gallon cube without issue? I have 7 fish now and they are all very fat and happy and there is still plenty of swimming space IMO. On the show they would cram 25-30 fish into a tank as small as mine....

Administrator

Re: was watching (tanked) and wondered...

From a filtering standpoint it does not matter how many fish. What matters is how much you feed.

Oxygen levels also matters. (Surface gas exchange, skimming, oxygen through photosynthesis)

Banned

and room - packing em in too close will increase aggression

The answer is dependent upon all of the previously posted answers and more. Each addition to your aquarium should be carefully planned taking into consideration your existing fish, corals and inverts, the ultimate full grown size of your fish, compatibility between various species, etc. You should add each addition one at a time and slowly and you should quarantine in order to prevent parasites like ich, flukes, etc. If you follow this method, the answer to your question will come from your knowledge and experience and will be the most accurate based on your actual circumstances. Patience, research and reason will serve you well. There is no reason why most fish cannot live for many years in captivity, yet most do not. I have kept fish for many years and have made many mistakes. Naturally, I am trying to avoid future mistakes. With the internet there are many sources of excellent information, this site included! Of course there is a lot of misinformation. Question what you read and ask yourself "does this make sense". Generally, there are no shortcuts, however, new technologies and forums like this are making advances happen more quickly. For example, I am currently assessing the feasibility of setting up a hyposaline hospital tank 1.009 SG for treatment of marine ich. The scrubber is the only source of filtration. If it works, it will allow treatment for the 8 or more plus weeks needed without regular (daily) water changes. From my experience and from what I have read and studied, this would make hyposalinity an easy and effective way to treat marine ich, albeit a rather lengthy process. For excellent information and articles concerning many aspects of keep marine fish google "Lee Birch reef articles".

Good Luck!

Banned

plus don't go by what you see on Tanked do determine what you can do. That show is cool and funny but I wouldn't fill with tap, mix in salt, and add fish right away. The only salinity test and drip acclimate I have seen them do so far is with rays. probably because they're so expensive

i have been reefing a long time now and I know that the show is total b/s BUT.. I have seen real life tanks with that kind of stocking level. Just wondering what the whole truth is on stocking....

well just an update: I have 9 fish in my 45 gallon and so far everything is great....so far.....

Administrator

If high-stocking in the goal, you can just double, triple, or quadruple your scrubber size. The amount of fish that a tank can support is equal to how much algae is in the system.

hi stocking is not MY goal,I am happy with my 9 fish but I would love to see someone put a bunch of tangs in a small space using a large scrubber long term..that would change the game!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information