+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: film algae on glass ,,again..

Re: film algae on glass ,,again..

Simply saying they can be removed.

Hello!

If algae on the glass is the only alge in the display tank. Keep cleaning the glass with a rasor blade and hopefully after a while there will be growing some other alge feeding of the nutrients the algae on the glass earlier was cunsuming. And this algae is probably the algae in the scrubber.

jnad

Administrator

the glasscleaning is an indicator of high nutrient levels?
    Not levels; but supply. Think of levels like water in a sink. Think of supply like water out of a hose. The sink "looks" like more water because you see it, but in only a few minutes the hose will have delivered more "supply". In ocean and lake studies, the terms are "standing stock" and "turnover".

You have a high supply (turnover) of nutrients, flowing from your food/waste to your scrubber. That's why the scrubber grows; it has a big supply of nutrients. And since the nutrients are flowing out of the display so fast, the "levels" (standing stock) stay low. But while they are flowing, they are touching your glass and delivering nutrients.

One way to reduce this is to reduce flow across the glass. Another is to feed live food. Another is to shade the glass. And of course you can always increase the throughput of your scrubber so that is processes water faster.

I have no idea about additives.

are you saying the algae removes the DOC/particles supplied by itself?
    No, the skimmer/GAC do.

film algae on glass ,,again..

So, remove gac and skimmer again?

Administrator

Yes, if the goal is coral growth.

And if algae bloom and stn sets in due to removal of them?

Administrator

Then your scrubber is not strong enough.

So it's either too efficient with skimmer+gac or too weak. My screen is 2x 85x25cm fed with 5500 lph and 234w (t5 39wx6). I feed mby 5 pinches flak and 1-2 cube of frozen. Then your estimates must be way off, or there is something else I'm missing? I really want to solve this with the scrubber, but if not I must change to something else.

Is there any coral feeder pump that would work for less than $500+?

Administrator

Well, GAC + skimmer is not efficient at remove nutrients, only organics. And if that's all the food you are feeding, then I can see why there is slow growth. I've seen it before too, and it was solved by feeding much much more.

Any cheap $100 dosing pump can feed blended food if you dilute the food enough; they dose as low as 1ml per hour, so you'd want to make the food like cake batter, and then add 10 X more water to make it thin. The storage and chilling take more space, but it's cheap.

A high-precision medical pump can dose 0.1 ml per hour, so you don't have to thin out the mix, and thus it only takes up small space, and can use a tiny chiller:

Pump:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=110&start=20#p4044
    Food:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1153&start=10#p12168
    Chiller:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1152

Hey Guys

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but from late fall to early spring, when the sun is lower on the horizion, it shines right through my back window and on my tank. Thats when algae grows on my glass much faster. Is your tank getting any sunlight.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information