+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guesstimates on copepod production

Guesstimates on copepod production

Has anyone ever given a guesstimate on level of copepod production in an ATS?

What influences do you think exist?

There are lots of scientific papers on copepod production, but I failed biology and so a lot of these read as gobble-de-gook to me. I studied physics where possible. When things start talking about the biology of things, me eyes start to glaze. Unless I get 'hard numbers' I'm lost.

In a light hearted suggestion we should just about call x square inches = 1 mandarin. Thus we can say we have a 3 mandarin unit scrubber. :P

What about 'the scrape'. When it comes time to harvest the algae, obviously we lose some copepods.

I believe I read somewhere on this site that you just wave the screen in front of a powerhead to blast the copepods off. Does it require this much force? Or could you just put the screen in and give it a good 10 second shake?

Dave

Administrator

Re: Guesstimates on copepod production

I've seen reports of a 10 X 10 screen supporting 3 mandarins, with no shaking in front of a powerhead. Remember that pods are coming off of the algae all the time.

Banned

Re: Guesstimates on copepod production

Dunno, but I have millions of the buggers.

Have some live rock in the sump & I can see em swarming all over it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information