+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyposalinity ATS Hospital Tank

Re: Hyposalinity ATS Hospital Tank

Hi zhewitt04. You are right about the evaporation with the scrubber. I have found that I have to add small amounts of water, usually twice per day in order to maintain the salinity range necessary to keep the salinity between 1.008 - 1.009. It is important to keep the salinity within this range, since above 1.009 may not kill the parasite when it is in its free swimming stage. Understanding the ich lifecycle is important in successfully treating and curing fish of this parasite. Ich is killed when it is in the free swimming lifecycle stage. As such, if your salinity is too high, say 1.010, during that period of ich's lifecycle, many but perhaps not all of the parasites may be killed and the fish in hospitalization may be reinfected. From a practical standpoint, however, most of the time you are treating the fish for ich, you are in fact not affecting the parasite. It is only during its free swimming stage that you are able to kill the organism, so in order for the raise in salinity to be a problem, it would have to coincide with the time in which the ich is free swimming. That being said, you do want to try to keep a close watch on salinity to ensure that your treatment is effective. It is important to use s refractometer in order to ensure accuracy. My routine is as follows:
    1. I begin by getting the aquarium to desired range 1.008-1.009 and place a level line (waterline) on the glass
    2. Each morning I check salinity with a refractometer
    3. I always double or triple check the readings as temperature can affect the reading. You want to be sure your reading is correct
    4. If I have any question of the accuracy of the refractometer, I recalibrate it with distilled water and retest.
    5. Once I am sure I have a correct reading, I add fresh RO water if needed, to keep the aquarium between 1.008-1.009.
    6. By shooting between 1.008-1.009, I have found that there is enough leeway. In other words, I think it is easier to maintain the salinity between 1.008-1.009 rather than trying to keep it at 1.009. This range is a safe range, however, you do not want to allow salinity to go any higher or lower than 1.008-1.009.

My treatment practice is derived primarily from what I have read by articles posted by Lee Birch. Because I am using a scrubber as the source of filtration, I have had to make adjustments to his treatment, however, to date, I think this has been and will continue to be a viable and easy way to successfully treat marine ich. I do want to point out that this is the first time I have tried to do this and that I do think that there are adjustments that can be made to make this process better, however, so far so good. Here is a link to Lee Birch, I think it is worth reading http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fis ... facts.html

I will continue to update this thread. I hope it helps.

Thanks,

James

Bump: any updates?

I am also looking for an update here. Interesting experiment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information