+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting slot help (even flow)

Cutting slot help (even flow)

Have you guys got pictures of the slots you have for your scrubbers?

My first few designs the mesh was hung under and I drilled holes for flow from the tube. Always worked but I thought it would look neater cutting a slot for the mesh like I've seen on here.

Now I've done it and reworked it a few times but never seem to get even flow across the mesh. Tried widening it, narrowing, cross slots etc etc.

Have you guys got pics of yours so I can see how you all did it?

Going to be reworking my return pipework soon to have it return fed so thought I'd better learn now lol

Chris

Re: Cutting slot help (even flow)

I don't have a picture handy, but I simply used my tablesaw. I marked on the pipe where the slot should begin and end, and then marked on the fence where the blade began and ended, then I simply lowered the pvc onto the blade, ran it through and stopped at the correct place. It did leave a curve in the kerf, if you know what I mean, and that did affect flow on the ends of the screen a little. A file can square that up nicely.

Thats pretty much exactly what I've done

I'll experiment making it wider at one end than the other too see if it widens the flow any!

No matter how even and straight i cut the slot. It still seems more in the middle.
    Also splashes.. How do i reduce these things??? Help me please!

Cutting slot help (even flow)

When I cut mine, it was not even straight. I used a sawzall. Boy was THAT fun. I'm guessing, because Of that, it would splash and be a little noisier than surely everyone else's.

I covered some of the 'extra' slot on the pipe( I tried RE cutting, but I wasted like 8' of pipe) with Teflon tape and on the end I put a piece of plastic 'sheet'. To keep the splashing to a zero. What/ how I did was, use the lid off a plant greenhouse. The kind you get at lowes with the the little peat pots in them. I just cut the lid in half and made a cross slit at one end.

Just MY experience. And it works on MY application. Maybe I, or someone else, popped or will pop off an idea. Partial or complete. That'll stick.

If my idea works for you......I'll take 100$

Haha

I'll try to snap a few pics of my application.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.178204,-96.922032

If you mean splashing as in when it runs off the screen, then have some screen lowered into the water level 10mm would do it, if you mean splashing as squirting as it comes out of the slot, then the slot needs widening or the flow reducing, but I'd go for widening the slot as I take it you have already done your flow calculations and they are sound, if the slot is even & straight all the way along then you should not be seeing more flow in the middle, it usually gets the most flow at the ends and even then mainly at the input end......

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information