+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LED test on SM100

Administrator

LED test on SM100

9 days of growth after cleaning. Fluorescent on left, LED on right. LED is the 50 watt Grow Light from EshineSystems in China. Actually uses 41 watts per the KillOwatt. Was raised up 3/4 inch to fit in middle of scrubber window. Camera is unfortunately an old one, since new one is being repaired. Growth was very similar on both sides; too similar to tell them apart. Growth on the LED side was floating a bit higher since it had no light near the bottom. LED was about $140 including shipping, and I asked for the black case:

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcib4YaoTc
    LED:
    http://www.eshinesystems.com/growlight/ ... ght-3g.htm

Banned

Re: LED test on SM100

Awesome! Thanks for stepping up and experimenting with LEDs yourself. Looking forward to updates over the next couple months to hear what your thoughts are after trying them. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts at the 30 day mark on color, growth, and density (weight) of your harvest in comparison to each other.

It does seem already, that after only 9 days, that the LED light is looking very promising. Wattage is about the same, price is almost comparable (LEDs costing slightly more due to shipping costs now), but the big saving will come from not having to replace bulbs if the LED light can survive long term.

Banned

Well done SM - Looks like LED scrubbers will be the future then.

I spoke to these people today and delivery to the UK is around £100 landed, using DHL. If you manage to avoid the VAT (which I doubt as DHL will automatically add it), you will be looking at about £80.

Mark

Administrator

12 day cleaning:

Banned

It looks like the LEDs power through and grow more green. This supports my theory that the T5HO has a lot of 'wasted' light that the algae doesn't know what to do with, so you get the yellow/brown growth. I can't wait to get my fixtures and run my experiment...

Brilliant work SM! would love to hear your take on the outcome. And any anecdotes you have about the test.

Very nice!

Have you thought about using the slightly larger (three leds wide) 100W version? I think it would fit better? Or would that be overkill?

Administrator

I don't know if it would fit. As it is, these need a lot of testing. And they are not waterproofed.

Banned

Yes the round ones from Gotham / Lighthouse have been tried and one of them fried from the moisture. So if you run them remote from the sump or fed via a dry air source, then you're much better off. But they definitely cannot be ran in an enclosed sump cabinet with an open sump, IMO. They work on SM's setup because his run on shelves next to the tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information