+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LED test on SM100

Re: LED test on SM100

I clean as needed to. I notice my feeding levels dictate my cleaning times. When I feed heavy its 4-5 days, lighter weeks I can go 7-9 days. My algae is more brownish so I try to clean it before it gets really thick because it can fall into the water and is hard to remove due to the height of the scrubber tank.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

LED test on SM100

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    It will not be available unless you buy the lights yourself from China and take your chances. The lights were designed for hanging over plants; not only are they un-sealed, but they have an open frame, and they suck air/salt/moisture in via the fan.
    Ah I see... I guess what I mean is. One day if you decide to make the SM scrubber LED based, will the existing SM100s be backwards compatible?

I'm seriously thinking about investing in one of your SM100s, but before I do I'd like the assurance of knowing that I could upgrade to LEDs later. I'm not nearly handy enough to do it myself. I of course would be willing to pay extra for the new components; I just don't want to have to buy a completely new scrubber down the road.

Administrator

I can't say for sure.

LED test on SM100

Fair enough... Sorry I know it is a tricky question, I'm just trying to plan ahead!

Banned

any packaged LED system will generally have built-in fans. The ones I just got are similar in fashion but different in form factor. Fans on the back that blow into the fixture and vent out the edges. No seal between the back side and front side of the PCB board so moisture getting to all parts of the fixture is a definite concern. This makes designing an LED scrubber system that much more complex and that less cost effective...

Thats why I go DIY route. Oversized heatsink eliminates fans. After fixing LEDs to heatsink wiring them I spray several layers of acrylic lackuer over LED side. That keeps moisture away from sensitive parts and makes whole design moistureproof of some level.

Administrator

Getting ready for the 5th cleaning. All growth has been about equal to the T5 side so far. Two noticeable things:

1. There are no hot growth spots, even with the LED's so close to the algae; growth is evenly spread.

2. Since the unit runs cooler, the scrubber window does not get warm, and thus there is some condensation on the inside (whereas the T5 side is warm, without condensation). This condensation may or may not help with the diffusion of light from the LED's.

Hi,
    My scrubber is already working 9 months gallery https://picasaweb.google.com/1117136...eat=directlink. I used LED (2500K - 3500K), but a bit too little power and works on contact. Two screens at 300cm2, with each scraped about 30 grams of algae every week (tank 140 liters).
    That completes the necessary elements to perform the test lamp on blue and red LEDs.
    Yours

Administrator

I don't know if it's increased, or it I'm imagining, but the sound from the fans on the LED are detectable from across the room, even with two scrubbers emptying into the sump and the sump door open.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    I don't know if it's increased, or it I'm imagining, but the sound from the fans on the LED are detectable from across the room, even with two scrubbers emptying into the sump and the sump door open.
    Heiio!

Sorry to hear the fans are starting to be noisy, if you think you can hear a increased sound you probably not are imagining. I am an electical ingenieer and i have some experience with fans from work. My experience with cooling fans is that they has to have very very good quality for long life, especcaly in though envierments. When a dealer advertise with buildt in quality fans there is no garantee for good quality.

I hope your new scrubber designs for 2012 is constructed for leds with no need for cooling fans, fans are no good in the livingroom with the wife sitting 2m from the aquarium looking at the television

jnad

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information